TNs: My Goodfellow Journey Begins (04/22 update: first Goodfellow Chard)

The wines I have tried that I felt were fully open or close were the 13 WR and the 13 WR Heritage. Also the 16 WR my gateway drug while not fully opened gave me a strong glimpse of the future. I once told Marcus that I needed to buy older vintages so I won’t have to put on my serious face to taste them and he is very accomadating [wow.gif] yeah structured wines but I like that.

2 Likes

I visited over the weekend, and the two most open pinots (of like seven) were the 2019 Fir Crest and the 2018 Whistling Ridge. They were both very pretty and drinking nicely. There weren’t any Lewman wines in the lineup, though.

3 Likes

Brian, don’t overlook the Chardonnay’s. [cheers.gif]

3 Likes

Last year I asked Marcus to put together a case of bottles that were showing well young, and he graciously accommodated me.

Of these, I thought the 2013 and 2016 (my favorite) Whistling Ridge, 2014 Durant (also a standout), and 2012 Bishop Creek were all drinking nicely for my taste, though still a ways from maturity.

1 Like

I just cellar mine. I drink the one’s Bob Hughes regularly opens. He seems determined to have the largest Goodfellow selection east of the Mississippi. [cheers.gif]

RT

3 Likes

I started limiting the range of wines I buy, but buying larger quantities of the specific bottlings I purchase. Allows for early sampling and cellaring.

2 Likes

At this moment, I am drinking a 2013 WV PN (which seems to have a lot of Whistling Ridge in it). It is in a perfect place (as are the 2013 WR PN). In my experience, Goodfellow PN needs a minimum of seven years to start showing their more charming side (in other words, 2013 or earlier). I would also suggest that both the green/weedy notes and oak tones you experienced are the result of whole cluster treatment that will integrate over time into a wine of great depth and nuance.

2 Likes

As I was emailing with Marcus he said something very similar, and I have no reason to doubt it. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

The Chardonnay are definitely my preference so far.

1 Like

A Goodfellow PN fully in its prime? While I didn’t take a CT note, the 2015 Goodfellow Willamette Valley PN was really delicious 5 years after vintage. For my tastes the SVDs need more time to come around, but they are on a different level intellectually. I believe the first vintage I purchased was 2012/3 (prior to that most of the wine was produced under the Matello label) and, unfortunately, I drank mine too quickly. So I’m trying to hold most of my bottles with occasional check ins.

I think you’ll find that the whites will show potential at a much earlier age than the reds. The Blanc is approachable shortly after bottling, while the Chards take a bit more time (and it also depends on year, vineyard, etc.). I drank this recently and it showed HUGE potential. Really super stuff.

• 2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (6/1/2021)
    This wine is all about balance. There’s a healthy dose of acidity, but its deftly woven into the wine, such that a wonderful harmony emerges. Yellow orchard fruits, citrus and minerals on the palate. There’s a depth of flavor, yet the wine remains lightweight with a slightly rounded/luxurious mouthfeel.

Just lovely stuff. While still a baby, it’s giving lots of pleasure today and should drink well a decade and a half from vintage. 12.6%abv.

In terms of a red wine that was fully in its prime, I drank this two+ years ago among many other great bottles and I still remember it fondly. Unfortunately, Marcus stopped making Syrah.

Of course this isn’t the Northern Rhône, it’s Oregon. Yet this wine is clearly an homage to France and of served blind it would fool many an unsuspecting taster. Red fruits with an abundance of black pepper and flowers on the palate. Medium bodied with a good acidic lift. A great effort from Mr. Goodfellow. Drink now - 2025+.

From magnum. 13.8% abv. 83% Syrah and 17% Viognier.

FWIW, we drink far more red wine than white and I think it would be a huge mistake to sleep on the Chardonnay. Rarely do you find such a great wine that is also a great value (I am ordering more as soon as I can figure out my storage situation). I daresay that Goodfellow is my favorite domestic Chardonnay and I don’t think that there’s a close second.

6 Likes

Had my first over the weekend, '18 WR. Outstanding. Very open, clean bright red fruits, earth, with this wonderful med-light body complimenting the structure. Elegant in a way very difficult to find in domestic.

2 Likes

I’m with Corey on this. - Chris J. flirtysmile

3 Likes

I had one WV chard that was amazing, can’t remember vintage.

1 Like

I picked up Goodfellow after referrals from a bunch of berserkers in a thread of “gimme your oregon faves of past 5 years” for which I was chastised greatly. I might have benefitted more from the post than any other, as I found Goodfellow, Kelley Fox, and a few other home run hitters from Oregon. Contrary to Brian’s OP, I do not think you need long decants with these wines and would advise against it. I do think they will age beautifully, but many are extremely expressive young. My berserker group text cronies are largely massive fans, and some are burg fiends while others are not. To me, most of these wines work because they are wonderfully balanced, show lovely expressive fruit ranging from bright and red to sweet a purple, but always have so much else going on. I get great all spice/cinnamon notes at times, good florals with others, herbal earthy notes on some. I would say that the straight Durant wines are probably my least favorite, but that’s not to say that they aren’t still enjoyable or even very good wines. Overall, I am a huge fan of Goodfellow and have been drinking Oregon pinots since I could legally drink.

If you do like them, check out Kelley Fox as well.

6 Likes

Totally agree. I PnP a 2016 Heritage #8 tonight and it was smoking right out of the gate. It’s shining right now, with pure, light bodied, mineral tinged, red fruit. I hope Brian has the epiphany wine soon!!

2 Likes

My post above (and now below) may not be entirely lined up with your comments above, but I think we are probably on a similar wavelength. The wines generally have such great complexity that on an immediate pour you can find a lot to like, but given a short decant or a sitting in the cellar slow ox they won’t fade into nothing burgers but instead develop those tertiary characteristics many of use so much enjoy.

2 Likes

Thanks, Corey. I’ll definitely give the Chardonnays a shot. In your opinion, did winemaking style remain constant/similar from Matello to Goodfellow?

1 Like

I haven’t had a huge amount of the Matello wines, except for the Syrah. But based on a smallish sample size, the Goodfellow PNs are more expressive/racy/lighter bodied/interesting than his previous wines. IIRC, Marcus once said (I’m paraphrasing) he didn’t want to put his name on the label until he was happy with the wines. Matello wines were good; but the Goodfellows are on another level.

2 Likes

Nobody knows better than Marcus. I think he was slightly more right handed with Matello and more ambidextrous with Goodfellow? The number of bottlings and varieties have certainly increased.

RT

2 Likes

Our Goodfellow journey starts either this weekend or next week. We received our first shipment last week, and we have a 2014 from the assortment that was put together to try, and this will coincide with supporting Laura’s House. Win-Win!

Ed

4 Likes