TNs: Mostly Chardonnay

I got together with a couple of fellow winos to drink some Chardonnay. It was the first bottle of Roulot for me and it managed to exceed my high expectations; now I know what the hype is about. The Combettes once again reminded how great mature Chardonnay is with creamy, buttery foods. I did not know of Fallet-Prévostat before but it is nice to have found another quality Côte des Blancs producer. The Pipparello was something unique, although based on this bottle I am not quite sure if it is 100% my thing. That said I would not turn down a glass if offered. There was also a bottle of 2008 Yves Cuilleron Côte-Rôtie Bassenon opened but at that point I had ingested so much wine already that my memory is very hazy. Indeed, we had a good time.

• 1989 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (30.12.2017)
    Fairly dark brown color. The nose is totally toasty and nutty with toffee and old wood aromas. On the palate full-bodied, spicy and powerful - definitely well alive and kicking. Quite juicy with notes of apples and nuts. Undoubtedly mature with some degree of natural oxidation yet with very good acidity. Interesting enough on its own but truly a beast when enjoyed with quenelles in a lobster sauce.
  • 2014 Joseph Drouhin Puligny-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet (30.12.2017)
    No formal notes taken. Dry and surprisingly large-scaled with a mellow, friendly mouthfeel. Impressively harmonious with very well integrated oak already at this point. Tasty and food-friendly, however considering the size and and the moderate acidity I was really surprised to learn that it is a 2014. Very good now and near term, but I do not think that this one is for the long run.
  • 2014 Domaine Roulot Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (30.12.2017)
    Popped and poured, enjoyed from Riedel Montrachet glasses. The nose is truly haunting: nutty, smoky and minerally with no unnecessary fruitiness. Detailed, expressive and captivating - wow. On the palate bone dry with plenty of substance, power and energy. Markedly saline and very spicy, once again not about fruit at all. Majestic focus, this is so way above your average Bourgogne Blanc.
  • NV Fallet-Prévostat Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Extra-Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (30.12.2017)
    No base vintage or disgorgement information on the label. An expressive and appealing nose of ripe apple, bread dough, baking spices with salty and cheese-like tones. On the palate less dry than its designation. The mouthfeel is sleek and firm; it is on the richer side yet with great lift and delineation. There is a healthy amount of autolytic notes and a distinct spicy element. Very much harmonious, drinking just fantastically right now.
  • 1999 Paolo Bea Montefalco Rosso Riserva Pipparello - Italy, Umbria, Montefalco, Montefalco Rosso (30.12.2017)
    Decanted quickly to remove the sediment (of which there was a ton). This wine has the color of a Tawny Port and the nose is not much different: very much nutty and woody with dried fruits and figs. On the palate the flavor profile is akin to the nose but surprisingly there is real freshness and liveliness to the fruit. It is medium-bodied with a nicely firm texture and juicy acidity. An interesting wine to say the least.

Posted from CellarTracker