TNs--Mike on Tour--OL in OC at Sam Woo, lots of good stuff, May 8

Mike, your OC people set a high standard for us to replicate tonight in Santa Barbara, We shall do our best.

It was a delicious dinner with great new and old friends and lots of tasty wine.

The hit of the night was the Meursault but there were plenty of other contenders including the Hermitage and the Lambrays. The Puligny I brought didn’t strike me as corked but didn’t match the tasting notes I found for it, seeming a bit less intense and flavorful than expected. The Riesling I brought, 2011 Reichsgraf von Kesselstatt Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Spätlese was a very good wine that fell short of outstanding due to lacking just a bit of acidity. It went great with the honey shrimp and would have hit the spot if we had any of the spicier dishes on the menu. Here is a tasting note I had from 11/4/2013. “A beautiful wine with pineapple and flowers on the nose, stone and tropical fruit including a continuation of the pineapple, citrus and spice on the palate and finishing long and lush. The only shortfall is that the sweetness is not balanced by enough acidity.” We had a surfeit of outstanding wines and convivial company Friday night, it’s what all this wine sh*t is all about.

champagne.gif grouphug