TNs: Michel Chablis, Novy, Siduri and Huet

Been a while since I posted some multiple notes but I had a nice chance last night to dine with a few friends, take some of the wine home and re-try tonight. I brought all the white last night, my friend brought the reds. Thanks for reading.

• 2008 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis Grand Cru Vaudésir - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (10/8/2012)
    Opened last night. I really like the sea shell crossing with the lemon zest notes. The finish has a lovely drying aspect, with a long trail of marine aspects and lemon. I have one 375 left, will drink in 2014 or 2015, as the wine still drinks youthful and delicious. This is why I don’t drink much CA chard anymore, as wines like this make those easy to forget.
  • 2008 Novy Family Wines Syrah Susan’s Hill Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (10/8/2012)
    We opened this last night, as I asked my friend who owns several of these to bring it to a dinner so we could see how it was aging. It’s only a 2008 so to make a remark about age might seem a bit ridiculous but I had not tried the wine since early 2011 so I thought it would be a good marker to see how it is coming along. Listed alc is 14.5%. Typical with Susan’s, it’s dark in color, purple to black. Aromatics show a cool mix of brown spice, like a cinnamon, along with flowers, iron and some riper-styled fruit and some heat. Last night, the palate left me with the impression of 'tart, not something I would attribute to Susan’s Hill. Yet tonight, there is indeed a leaner edge to this vintage, it has more cut then I typically expect from Susan’s. The dark flavors and sexier side is throttled back by a juicier, lean edge. A bit of cran is this vintage, which is unusual, along with blackberry, crushed rocks and some olive. Reminds me a little bit of what Wells did in the earlier Copain years. This drinks pretty well now but can age through say 2015.
  • 2010 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Séchet - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (10/8/2012)
    My first 2010 Sechet, as I bought a handful of these recently, along with the MdT and Les Clos. I really like Michel, as I don’t have to whince when I pay for the wines, as they remain in my view an excellent value. Plus, they don’t see any oak so they present a transparency that isn’t cloaked up with toasy, marshmallow, vanilla bean and all that other barrel noise. Opened last night…drinks plumper than the 08 Michel Vaudesir which I poured next to it. I saw the Burghound note on this, and I would agree with the white peach, although there is enough acid, what he calls citrus, again I think a fine descriptor, to keep the wine with some cut. Then a nice spicy note, like a fresh, zippy green apple in the finish, along with minerality and anise. There is a shaing of opulence in the wine too, in the finish, some honey but it’s suprpassed by the spicy acidity that carries this wine. Another really nice Michel chablis, for $30 and half of that for Dauvissat Forest and the other undrinkable CA chardonnay heroes.
  • 2010 Huët Vouvray Sec Le Mont - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (10/8/2012)
    I have drank and bought several of these but I can never seem to get around to doing a note. This time I will, drank from a 375 opened last night. Slight chill, too. Nectarine, yellow apple, a strawberry note, mango, just a real nice melange of fruits. Then the finish kicks in, flushed with nice acidity, kiwi and green apple, then some honey, then more acidity. This remains delicious and still my front runner for white WOTY for 2012.
  • 2010 Siduri Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills (10/7/2012)
    Very nice. While a bit of the oak (brown spice) still shows as seasoning, there is a nice presence of asian 5 spice, dark raspberry and mineral. This should evolve to be a fine Clos Pepe bottling.

Posted from CellarTracker

Have to agree with you on the Chablis & Vouvray. The only CA chards I still buy are Arcadian, Rhys, Copain & Ceritas.

Nice notes Frank, in total agreement about the Le Mont sec.

'10s from Michel are crazy good and crazy value. Really enjoy the Montee de Tonnere and the Butteaux VV… Also Le Clos which is quite a substantial wine

Russ,
Can’t disagree with your CA picks.
However, you really should add Mount Eden to your list!!

TTT

mmm…rapeberries.

FMIII,

Thanks for the notes on the Michel Chablis’. This is a house I have never tried, but they seem to be offered at fair prices that punch above their weight based on your notes. For frame of reference, my “value” chablis houses are Tremblay, Vrignaud, Barat, Boudin, (and the occasional Picq and Vocoret). I find a lot of pleasure in these, so I rarely pony up for the big boys, especially since I don’t like to gamble on whether they’ll be premoxed by the time they reach their drinking window (a lesson I learned well with a bunch of '96s and haven’t repeated since). But I’m with you, I can think of no CA chards that delivers the mineral-laced precision of a nice Chablis at this price point, and few at any price for that matter. That said, the Copain Brosseau is just killer, and is the only CA chard I will buy every year no matter what it costs. I stopped buying Rhys, the only other CA chard I’ve enjoyed, in '08 when the drifted north of $60/btl, and I found Bedrock’s version of Brosseau in '10 disappointing.

cheers,
scott

Hey Paul - I haven’t seem much of you around these parts lately. Hope all is well. You are probably right in regards to Mount Eden and I’ll try to remedy this. I also need to buy more of their pinot as well.

Scott, I’ll buy the Rhys chard as I tasted the 2010s and these are what I prefer now, same with the Copain Brosseau. Bit of a guilty pleasure too is Rivers-Marie Theriot but that’s really it. Seek out the Michel, try them. I am sipping on the 08 Vaudesir right now, and it’s really just a great bottle of affordable GC chablis.

Henry, I had forgot about the 2010 Butteaux VV–I bought several of those too, yet to try them. The 2008, which I still have a couple of, are drinking great.

Frank,

As always, thanks for the great notes and especially on the Chablis as I have 3 Michel 2010 Séchet on the way. Can’t wait to try one.

I just drank my last 2008 Butteaux Vieilles Vignes, and it was epic with both the fresh salad and homemade squash soup my friend’s wife prepared for dinner last Saturday. I should have bought more of that one, aside from the Clos it might be my favorite Michel.

I really like tha austerity precision and balance of the Michel line, aided by it not getting anywhere near oak. A different style than Dauvissat and Raveneau, but an amazing value given the quality

FWIW, and I don’t work for Envoyer, I got a blast from them today that included the 2010 Michel Butteaux VV. Not sure what might be left but here is the excerpt from the email. $34.99.

2010 Louis Michel, Chablis 1er ‘Butteaux VV’ $34.99 – WA 93 “Michel’s 2010 Chablis Butteaux Vieilles Vignes boasts serious depth. In 2010, the Vieilles Vignes is rich, powerful and seductive. Honey, almonds and succulent peaches wrap around the palate as this deeply resonant, textured wine shows off its class and pedigree. Endless layers of fruit continue to build through to the finish. This is a dazzling effort. Anticipated maturity: 2013+.”

FWIW, I forgot I still had a few glasses of the Sechet left over from last Monday, a week ago. Been sitting in the fridge simply under the cork and the glass I just poured tastes as fresh as it did a week ago. Damn Michel is such a sweet value, man.

Unfortunately, $35 is starting to push the value end for me and if they get to $40 per the 1ers it would really make them less attractive. Still, I’ll try and see if I can scrape the budget for a few more…I love them so much.

Frank, do you drink Muscadet? As Chablis prices increase, it’s really been starting to become my go to replacement over the past couple years.

The last glass of the Butteaux VV was darned good last night after a week in the fridge. I hear you about pricing though. There are still a number of sub-$30 riesling trockens ((non-GG) that merit quite serious attention (e.g., Schafer-Frohlich in the Nahe, Ulli Stein in the Mosel). Donnhoff also has some very good offerings but they don’t seem to get exported

Alex, I have a little Muscadet, but not much. I’ve found that an IPA does the trick when I want white but I can’t decide what the hell I want. With my wife not drinking with me, even a bottle at 40 bucks, it can stretch for me across three nights, maybe four. So, the $$$ saved really don’t factor much.

I love Louis Michel Chablis. Great stuff. Very nice note too here.
Dauvissat Forets (Forest) is one of the sure things every vintage. That is my go to wine in Chablis along with Dauvissat Preuses.
Different levels of excellence to me. Louis Michel = excellent . Dauvissat = top quality FWIW.

Henry, you remind me that I need to explore the drier styles of Riesling. I really haven’t to date, and that’s bad… shame

Frank, dude…get some Muscadet. While I hear yah on the IPA thang, you really need to look into some of the better producers, especially those often discussed here on WB. If I was in CA, I’d open some for you. Btw, Envoyer offers some extremely nice examples every now and again.

Don, funny you bring up Dauvissat because I just picked up some of the Forets from the last Premier Cru offering! Your opinion on this makes me very optimistic on how they’ll drink. However, we’ll just have to see if I’m still around to take delivery of them… :wink:

FMIII, I’ll echo the sentiments of others that you should look into muscadets. You can’t go wrong with Pepiere across the range and pretty much any vintage, and his Clisson is just killer at half the price or less of most Chablis premiers. They also age incredibly well (I’m still sitting on some '99s Briords). Also the Jura offers some really unique expressions of the Chardonnay grape. You might want to look at Puffeney, which can be had just North of $20. For thirst quenching satisfaction, in lieu of beer, I also sometimes turn to gin + San Pelligrino Pompelmo. Just awesome, that.

Cheers,
Scott

I got some Pepiere in my cellar, and the Clisson so don’t grip. Luneau-Papin and Bregeon, too.

I have a Peak Organic Pomegranate Wheat Ale open tonight, as it’s still in the mid 80s, even at this hour. Wierd ass weather.