TNs: Loire Valley-Some good wines with age

The EWG met to sample some Loire wines last weekend at Otoño . Great night of food, wine and company.

2009 Domaine Huet Vouvray Pétillant Réserve Brut - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray Pétillant (8/27/2023)
I’ve had this wine a few times, notably at the domain in 2019 and bought a few bottles during my trip. I’ve enjoyed this wine a lot but tonight it’s even better than I remember. Bruised apple and mild citrus notes on both the nose and palate. Flavors are more profound and complex than four years ago. Enough acidity to carry the load. Just delicious!

2005 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie Vieilles Vignes Clos des Briords - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie (8/27/2023)
Also starts off shy like the ‘07, but O2 does the trick. A bit simple but does gain some depth through the night. This was less complex than the ‘07 with less intensity and salinity. Still, a nice one tonight.

2007 Domaine de la Pépière Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie Vieilles Vignes Clos des Briords - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine sur lie (8/27/2023)
Starts off muted with little character to show. Starts to open up and within an hour is showing a lot more flare. You trade zip of more mature flavors. Lemon curd, lychee notes. Pretty decent acidity. We all liked this.

2007 Didier Dagueneau Blanc Fumé de Pouilly - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Pouilly-Fumé (8/27/2023)
Wow! Just beautifully pungent aromas pour from the glass. This is divine in the mouth. The flavors are savory yet also fruity, with a sharp and focused profile. The finish goes on. This is a great Loire SB. Probably will drink well for a few years.

2008 Foreau Domaine du Clos Naudin Vouvray Demi-Sec - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (8/27/2023)
Honeyed apricot and somewhat floral nose. Rich and dense flavors. Medium acidity, maybe a touch lacking in structure. Missing some verve and punch. I like the Secs at at this age a bit more.

2011 Catherine et Pierre Breton Bourgueil Clos Sénéchal - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Bourgueil (8/27/2023)
Rather easy drinking, nicely balanced with some complexity. Nothing wrong but in the company of the Baudry and Rougeard it was simply out classed.

2011 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Franc de Pied - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (8/27/2023)
This is a lovely wine. Fall leaves, tobacco, dark red fruits, hint of green pepper. There is depth and nice balance. A really nice Chinon. No doubt this will continue to develop with age.

2007 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur-Champigny - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny (8/27/2023)
Poised and deep with classic flavors and aromas in perfect balance. Silky, complex and precise with great length on the finish. No question, this is classy stuff. A real treat!

2005 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume Grand Cru - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Quarts de Chaume Grand Cru (8/27/2023)
Rich, sweet, viscous, apricots, honeyed. Could use a touch, more acidity, but drinking pretty good. From .375ml

10 Likes

Great notes. The 2002 Breton Clos Senechal was my intro to Loire Cab Franc. I think I went through about 8 bottles. 10.5 abv or something close. Pretty red fruits and dirt. The bottles past a certain age got kind of Bretty, but that bottle was a game changer for me.

1 Like

Re: Abv, The Baudry is 12.5 and I think the Rougeard was 11.5. If memory serves, abv is up in Saumur/Chinon.

1 Like

Awesome lineup.
I love the Huet Petillants at 10-15yr age.

1 Like

Ive enjoyed the pets ive had, but thought tje reserves were a solid step up

1 Like

What a lineup! I haven’t had a 2007 Dagueneau in quite a while, but I’m not surprised yours was still in good shape. The last time I had any we did a mini-horizontal of 3 of the bottlings (I think Silex was missing). Differences were about style, not quality. They were all such great wines.

2 Likes

I was really a lot better at it when I was younger.

TMI dude!

1 Like