TN's: Krug with Krug

Crazy that it’s been nearly ten years since that night.

What made you look up that thread?

I actually had a bottle of Krug Rosé last night (pre-birthday celebration), and I thought of Ray, and all his tales of Krug.

The Rosé was very young, but soooo good. The most vinous Rosé I have had in a long time.

Very timely thread indeed as Oliver will be in town this week and we’ll be trying 85, 90, and Krug Rose 19th edition in Magnum format along with some 96-04 release Rose and Grand Cuvée. Sadly for me no 34.

Post notes on this same thread if you can, as it will be fun to compare them 10 years apart, two different tasters!

The 10 year challenge? It will help us refine our Krug recognition technology!

10 year challenge?

I am definitely not in the same league as Ray but will try to do my best.

Menu and line up:

Champagne Krug Grand Cuvee Jeroboam Edition 160

Champagne Krug Grand Cuvee Magnum Edition 164

Champagne Krug Grand Cuvee Edition 166

Champagne Krug Vintage 2004

Champagne Krug Vintage 2003 Magnum

Champagne Krug Vintage 1990

Champagne Krug Vintage 1985

Champagne Krug Rose Edition 19 Magnum

Menu
Charcuterie and Cheese Selection
Shoestring French Fries with Lemon Ginger Gremolata
Baby Red Bliss potatoes filled with American Sturgeon Caviar, Egg, Bermuda Onion and Creme fraiche
Tuna Poke with Hawaiian Sea Salt, Lime, coconut and cilantro
Seared Hudson Valley Foie Fras with Sautéed wild Mushrooms on Brioche Toast
Candied Lemon Drop Sorbet with mint
A5 Wagyu Kobe sashimi with Ponzu dipping Sauce

My byo addition:
68AD273E-DAF6-4990-854E-3303632030F9.jpeg

Fred,

Remind Olivier about that night with the '34 and please tell him I said hello. Haven’t seen him in a few years.

Will do Ray.

88 Krug is one of my best Champagne experiences to this point.
Great notes.
Thanks!

Thanks Ray.

The '98 Krug has really improved in the bottle. Most of us had it ahead of the '96 Cristal last weekend.

Cheers
Jeremy

An amazing night and what a treat to meet Olivier and his local team.

Big thanks to Andrew and his wife for the wines and pairing!

Champagne Krug Grand Cuvee 166
The youngest grand cuvée and it showed. The most acidic. Krug signature and fruit is there. It just needs time to settle down.

Champagne Krug Grand Cuvee 163 Magnum
The 163 is drinking marvelously right now. The aged notes and fruit are in harmony with the acidity. The Krug signature is on display very nicely here. Bought a case for the holidays and down to my last bottle good.

Champagne Krug Grand Cuvee Magnum Edition 164

A great champagne but still tight and acidic. Needs time to develop. Like the 166 but with much more weight and depth.

Above 3 paired with american sturgeon caviar and potatoes with creme fraiche. About as great a pairing as one could hope for.

Course 1: Shoestring fried with lemon and ginger gremolata

Champagne Krug Vintage 2004

Vibrant with a steak of lemon acidity. Maybe even ginger notes. This was a wonderfully pairing with french fries with a lemon ginger gremolata. A genius call by the chef to omit the garlic and substitute it with ginger. One of those perfect pairings where both are elevated together.

Champagne Krug Vintage 2003 Magnum

You would have expected this to suffer next to the 04 but it had a surprisingly good amount of acidity and freshness. More ripe fruit but in this case it was a benefit.

Course 2: Tuna poke with hawaiian sea salt, coconut, lime.

Champagne Krug Vintage 2000 magnum

Another “weak vintage” that is drinking really well. Everything in fine balance and just all around very likable and wonderfully easy drinking.

Course 3: Foie with sautéed mushrooms on brioche

Champagne Krug Vintage 1990

A wonderful wine with ripe fruit and delicious complexity that comes with age. This bottle was very good but not showing as well as some of the best examples.

Champagne Krug Vintage 1985

Easily the freshest original release 85 that I’ve had. Plenty of effervescence left in this bottle. So much so Oliver paused to make special mention of it. This bottle must have been impeccably stored since it was first shipped over. Fresh and complex and the color was actually a little lighter than the 90 next to it. One of favorite wines of the night.

Course 3: A5 wagyu sashimi with ponzu

Champagne Krug Rose Edition 19 Magnum

Still young. A bit more strawberry notes on a krug grand cuvée backbone. In need of some more time to develop.

Bonus round:

90s Krug Rose

Opened at the beginning of the night. When it was poured 2 hours later there was still some mustiness that was concerning to me. Especially since this was one of the bottles that I brought. The mustiness eventually blew off to reveal a vibrant complex champagne with excellent effervescence. Some people immediately declared this their WOTN but having sneaked a taste of the 90s Grand Cuvée to make sure it was correct I suggested they wait until they try the Grand Cuvée. Oliver confirmed that this was in excellent condition. Whew.

90s Grand Cuvee

I’ve had several bottles of these and thankfully this was one of the better showings. It’s possible that opening it 2 hours prior had something to do with it. Again, excellent effervescence, richness, complexity, and that Krug signature through and through. WOTN for me and for my tastes better than most recent vintage bottlings except for the 88, 96 and of course the Mesnil.

Course 4: biscotti with pistachio and whipped cream

Champagne Krug Grand Cuvee Jeroboam Edition 160

Another edition that has been drinking well. I have always enjoyed this since the first time I tasted it at Krug next to the 04 vintage. I preferred it over the 04 then and I still do now. Very bright and fresh and the essence of Krug. WOTN for most people tonight. I was told only 120 bottles of the Jerobaom.

Something interesting I learned at the end of the night: Oliver’s son studied with Louis-Michel at Liger Belair. Not sure what that means for the future if anything but I found it very cool.

A perfect night and one to be remembered.
5ADA04B4-DE1B-4E85-9466-180C40027C82.jpeg

Glad you enjoyed your evening.

I was told that part of the Sale Contract was that Olivier held his position until he retired but that LVMH was under no obligation to any “Krug” after that. Of course it is possible he comes on board but I’m not sure in what capacity.

You are right of course. We talked a little about that also. I personally think it would be a mistake not to
have a Krug at Krug. It is such a nice family story and I feel it is integral to the brand.

Btw, I mentioned that you said hi and he remembers that night well.