TNs: Krug, Dagueneau, Ramonet, Jaboulet, Pichon, ABC, Drouhi

Last Saturday night, we attended a fantastic and classy event, the 5th annual Michael Boniccorsi Tribute Dinner, a highly sought after auction lot benefiting Direct Relief International. This stellar event is orchestrated by Jim Clendenen of Au Bon Climat. He arranges for top chefs in the US to cook for this occasion. In this case, the chefs were Dean Fearing, Kent Rathbun, Robert Del Grande and Stephanie Valentine, all from Texas. Some of the wines we had served by top sommeliers including Raj Parr were:

MV KRUG- consistently delicious over the last few months, creamy, light toast and carmel notes in a full body and with wonderful length.

NV PHILIPPONNAT BRUT RESERVE ROSE- also a very consistently pleasant drink over the last year, this is full of strawberries and raspberries and refreshingly delightful to sip on and on.

2009 DARA FAITH VINEYARD SAUVIGNON BLANC- typical varietal characteristics, grassy and herbal notes, soft and easy on the palate; great pairing with the salad- Texas chile course.

2004 DAGUENEAU SILEX POULLY FUME- I`ve had a few of this one and always enjoyed it; made in a bigger and bolder style, this is the epitome of sauv blanc from a long time history of high end wines from this producer; drinking well now.

2004 DOM. RAMONET CHASSAGNE MONTRACHET 1er CRU LES VERGES- loved this wine; lots of apple and pear after a light toasty, buttery beginning with depth and balance and a lingering finish. A winner now and for years to come.

2004 CLENDENEN FAMILY VINEYARDS LE BON CLIMAT CHARDONNAY- after the Ramonet, I wondered if it could get any better than that and it did or at least equalled the experience even though it is a different animal; after some initial sweet coconut in the nose which blew off, this had some toast, caramel, butterscotch and a smooth mouthfeel with finesse and length. Also, a real winner.

2003 DOM. RENEE ENGEL CLOS VOUGEOT- beautifully balanced, this wine is loaded with ripe, black fruit and has a little spicy quality at the end; it graces the palate with a silky covering; very pleasant now and shows longevity with nice acidity.

2003 ABC KNOX ALEXANDER PINOT NOIR- shinning with black cherry and red berry fruit, this has some cinnamon and all spice and a little white pepper; a wonderful Knox poured from magnim.

2005 ABC ISABELLE PINOT NOIR- the 2nd vintage of this top end ABC pinot showing longevity with still vibrant fruit and complexity; Jim commented there`s not much of this one left [I still have a 750 and 1.5].

1998 JABOULET LA CHAPELLE- after some spicy, peppery notes, there`s some good red fruit flavors and a decent finish; this bottle may have been on the down side of things, but nonetheless was an easy quaffer; a joy to drink, but not as good as a couple i had earlier this year.

1989 PICHON LALANDE- one of my favs from this producer, even as much so as the 82 and 90which I dearly love; it had some rich, dark fruit, a little earthy Pauillac note and an inviting balance and nicely integrated body; really showing well now.

1989 VITA NOVA “RESERVATUM”- 75% cabernet, this held its own with the Pichon; smooth and still fruity with a pleasant mouthfeel and finish.

A great night indeed.
Cheers.

Michael Boniccorsi was a classy guy.
alan