TNs: Chinon vs Saumur, Cabernet Franc from 1995 to 2010

Nathan, I’m game for a Southern version!

I regret not being game into Loire’s Cab Franc until recently, but Allemand…I should have bought the entire Chambers inventory in the early '2000 [scratch.gif]

What an epic dinner! Thanks for sharing. So happy to have just picked up 6 bottles of 2005 Baudry Grezeaux I won at auction :slight_smile:

1 Like

I googled and counted at least 3 helipads near our venue to see where we would direct you from had you landed, just in case. :slight_smile:

Greatly appreciate the additional notes.

Congratulations on the Grezeaux! Enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks for the wonderful notes - a truly epic line-up! Congratulations also for actually organising the event - it’s great to se people getting back to doing these. Obviously I’m extremely jealous!
The Grézeaux showing is especially impressive.

Dale and Ramon are certainly stingy graders. I hope I have time to comment more extensible once my vacation kicks in later this week.

The biggest lesson for me is to let these wines age.

Nathan, I only have one more bottle of Rougeard left. 1997 Poyeux. Maybe that will finally entice you up? That’s a wine Joe poured for me in his office on release (along with Clos and Bourg). So I have special memories of those ’97s. This was my last Clos. And my last ‘97 Baudry.

Don has 2 more ‘95 and ‘96 Bourg. He bought them on release. Thought they were outstanding, but they aren’t ready IMO.

Dale, 2007 was Poyeux.

I came across my notes while searching for something else on my phone so they’re finally getting posted

2014 Baudry Croix Boisee Blanc
Too cold at first then a lovely bitterness and richness
B+

2005 Baudry Croix Boisee Blanc
Gorgeous rich and layered
A

There is an obvious familial similarity the older bottle was just more layered and complex with roasted and blanched nuts and a touch of orange peel. Wiht air more peach and almond emerge. I see Ramon thought the 2014 was premoxed but I didn’t find that.

2010 Baudry La Croix Boissee
Yound stern nose, pure, long and minerally. Red fruited tending towards Cherry.
Wow, so impressive.
A

2010 Clos Rougeard Poyeaux
Nose is remarkable but on the palate the oak is not yet integrated. Fruit tending towards strawberry. Hold
A+ Nose/ B palate

2009 Baudry La Croix Boissee
OMG, I just start smiling from ear to ear. Riper than the 2010 but that does it no harm. On the finish it still has tannins for the long haul
A/A+

2009 Clos Rougeard Poyeaux
Nose isn’t as impressive as the 2010 but the palate is so precise and lovely. Precise acidity and waves of beautiful strawberry fruit
B nose/A palate

2008 Clos Rougeard Clos
Perfectly balanced, still tight, will be remarkable with age.
B+ for now

2007 Baudry Le Croix Boissee
corked

2007 Clos Rougeard Poyeaux
We’re finally getting some secondary development but it’s not a level with the others
B/B+

2006 Clos Rougeard Poyeaux
Wonderful
A/A+

2005 Baudry La Crois Boissee
Tannic, cherry. Needs more time for the tannins to smooth out
B+

2005 Baudry Grezeaux
Really good, Soft, gentle, lovely
A-

2005 Clos Rougeard Poyeaux
Lovely, lovely, lovely. A soft strawberry scented dream which evokes a gentle smile of joy
A/A+

2004 Clos Rougeard Poyeaux
Shut down in the bottle after decanting but slowly opens with swirling in the glass,
A-

I have no idea what this note refers to but I include it for sake of completeness. Blame me fat fingering my phone.
Edda Morent
Most Bordeaux like so far which leads some to say best so far but much as I like it I disagree.
A-/A

2004 Joguet “Cuvee des Varennes ” Chinon Franc de Pied
Red fruit with the high acids stikcing out.
B-/B

2000 Baudry La Crois Boissee
Good, but not compelling
B-/B

1997 Baudry La Crois Boissee
Oh that’s so good. Long with a diffusion? of flavor. Emerges for the long finish
A/A+

1997 Clos Rougeard Clos
I sniff and start laughing with joy. The Baudry has greater purity but my preference keeps shifting between the two 1997s
A/A+

1995 Clos Rougeard Bourg
1996 Clos Rougeard Bourg
Both incredibly impressive and complete wines but still incredibly young. A touch of garrigue on the nose of the 1996 which I give the edge over the 1995.
Revisit in 10 years?

Overall take is that both Baudry and Clos Rougeard make great, joyful wines. But you probably knew that already.

3 Likes

Thanks, Jay, for the TNs. A genuinely epic blast from the past.

Might be time to start planning another one?

2 Likes

A blast from the past indeed. Although I confess when it first came on my screen all I saw was title and that Ramon had posted, and thought “Damn they had a Loire CF tasting without me!”
I was a little hurt for a moment. :slight_smile:

Good stuff. Thanks for the notes.

I’m in!

Any chance we could do it in London?!

It’s also not a bad idea to just come over to NYC and get something going.