TNs: Best villages and a birthday celebration

BEST VILLAGES - (23/9/2022)

• 2009 Bernard Dugat-Py Gevrey-Chambertin Très Vieilles Vignes - Coeur de Roy - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
    Dark red in colour, clearly a richer wine. This was more seductive on the first pour than the 2009 Cathiard alongside but with air it put on weight, and also became more masculine in terms of structure. Intense dark, black fruit. Enjoyed this as this is the sort of Burgundy that is getting rarer nowadays, even though it is not my preferred style. Hint of alcohol on the finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2009 Sylvain Cathiard Vosne-Romanée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée
    Haven’t had many Cathiards with age and this was a treat. Had an aromatic, lifted nose that I love in Burgundies, with some typical Vosne spice. The palate started off lighter and was not as immediately impressive as the Dugat-Py, but it was glorious after some time in the glass as the pretty and saline red fruit became more expressive. Lovely balance to the wine despite being a 2009, hard to imagine a village being better than this. Close call between the Rouget and this for WOTN. (94 pts.)
  • 2010 Emmanuel Rouget Vosne-Romanée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée
    Similar aromatic and lifted nose to the Cathiard with a little more VA. Incredibly seductive and open-knit wine that showed the purity of 2010 fruit well - was thinking that this was either a 2005 or 2010 as it clearly came from a warmer year without being unbalanced. More overt pepper spice notes, some tea leaves, perhaps from the greater oak use than the Cathiard but it didn’t come across as obtrusive. Couldn’t decide between this or the 09 Cathiard as WOTN, both top notch wines. (94 pts.)
  • 2001 Emmanuel Rouget Nuits St. Georges - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges
    There was some debate if this was corked - initially I thought it was but it didn’t get significantly worse over time and there was still fruit present. I would put it down as old-school barnyard funk but a more experienced palate was quite sure that it was tainted. Nonetheless it was still very pleasant, had an elegant, florant nature despite the rusticity that made me think it was a Chambolle, the silkiness of the wine didn’t make me think NSG at all on this. (93 pts.)
  • 2016 Domaine Marc Roy Gevrey-Chambertin Cuvée Alexandrine - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
    My contribution. Quite dense and earthy, had a deep concentration of fruit unsurprisingly from millendrage. Old-school style that isn’t in vogue at the moment as it had a touch too much rusticity without the elegance. Had a cola note that emerged with air. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 Sylvain Cathiard Vosne-Romanée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée
    Rather reticent at first without much fruit. Opened up very nicely to show some blueberries and dark red cherries. Some meaty notes and overt tannin that brought me to Gevrey. Not as quintessentially Vosne like the others in the flight, was slightly more modern in nature as well. Some evident greenness that led some people to think 2011. Quite enjoyable nonetheless after time in the glass and was marginally ahead of the Rouget NSG as my third favourite. (93 pts.)

FELIX’S BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION - (24/9/2022)

Had to leave early because of a mishap, so only quick notes since I didn’t have a chance to revisit the wines. Nonetheless a very enjoyable line-up to celebrate a birthday.

• 2018 Wasenhaus Spätburgunder Möhlin - Germany, Baden
    Didn’t like the entry-level so much but liked this more. Someone guessed Grenache and I thought it was a new-school northern Rhone with the blue fruit, but with air I switched my guess to a new-world Pinot once the elegance and cherry, raspberry fruit came out. Very lightly extracted, attractive red fruit without much structure but still felt too tight and young. (92 pts.)
  • 2011 Domaine Bertheau (Pierre et François) Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    Guessed RSV with the aristocratic nature and silky elegance, together with some spicy red fruit. However I was off by more than 15 years for the vintage - as usual Bertheau presented more advanced than expected. Nevertheless this was very lovely and showed that off-vintages are better for early pleasure. No greenness. (94 pts.)
  • 2001 Domaine Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    My contribution. Not the best cork, some seepage so was expecting the worst given that it showed a little advanced and oxidised at the beginning. Had a haunting, deep floral nose but on the palate it was a little light without the structure I expected from Chave. Mostly acid on the palate, not as dark-fruited and meaty as a typical northern Rhone but according to others it improved later on in the night.
  • 1990 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Único - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero
    Only had a small taste of this, I was stumped so I guessed an elegant Bordeaux like Margaux with the plummy fruit. Remarkably fresh with vibrant, sweet and spicy fruit. Not much tannins left but still retained an impressive power. Great wine. (94 pts.)
  • 1998 Château Léoville Las Cases - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    Only had a small taste of this. Incredibly pure and vibrant fruit for a weaker vintage. Tasted much younger than it actually was, and I thought this was from a stronger year like 2005. EDIT: Just realised I had this wine before and had very similar impressions. Also guessed a warm vintage the last time but on this occasion the greenness wasn’t apparent. (93 pts.)

1 Like

Wow, quite a selection or two! I always find the name of the Wasenhaus wine just a bit funny given that in Finnish ”Möhlin” means ”I messed up” :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for all the notes! How was the PJ?

Happy to help! The P-J was a leftover from a lunch the previous day and it didn’t show well - a little cidery and flat to me hence I didn’t rate it on CT.

1 Like