TN's: Alesia/Rhys Tasting

Not from this tasting, but here is an assortment of my notes on older Alesia’s:

2004 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Kanzler Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (7/11/2018)
Just beautiful, tart red fruit, a touch of stems bring a bit of menthol and spice, it just makes me happy. (92 pts.)

2004 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Chileno Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/28/2013)
It started out pleasantly enough when it was first opened, with the ruby wrapped garnet color showing no signs of its age, subdued dark cherry with a little green stemminess, and a slightly bitter tannic kick on the back end.

It blossomed as it warmed up and aired out, gaining complexity with blackberry and raspberry joining the party, and bringing a little spice with them. The tannin faded into the background and a little acidity came out to play, but both were mainly discernable through their effects, providing structure to frame the fruit and ample enough to cleanse the palate after bites of prime steak.

It really hit its stride toward the end of the night (and of the bottle), as I found myself muttering exclamations of joy under by breath with each sniff of the glass. I think it has peaked, but it has done so at a higher level than I’d expected, and shouldn’t descend too precipitously. I’ll drink what little I have left of this wine over the next year or two, with hopes that they can match the pleasure this bottle offered.

2004 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Sonatera Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/3/2014)
Skeletal and tight at first , showing bones of ample tannin and acidity but not a lot of fruit, but it fleshed out nicely with air. A little simple, with more purple fruit than most other Alesia bottlings, but still very pleasant and with plenty of life remaining. (90 pts.)

2005 Rhys Alesia Syrah Fairview Ranch - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (6/2/2015)
Assorted Wines at Peach & the Porkchop (Peach & the Porkchop, Roswell, GA): Still very youthful, with brambly fruit and black olives, with substantial but ripe tannin. Very nice. (92 pts.)

2006 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Green Valley of Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Green Valley of Russian River Valley (2/21/2018)
Very pretty but really blossoms with air, as tangerine peel and a little pine cones out to play, clearly California but with class and restraint. Still plenty of gas left in the tank on this one but it is very good now with some time open. (91 pts.)

2006 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/25/2015)
Lovely and seductive, it’s drinking incredibly well with cranberry-orange, plum, and spice and good tannic grip supporting the fruit and letting it shine. It needs a little air to fully open up and come together and doesn’t look to be fading any time soon. (92 pts.)

2006 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/14/2018)
Pure red cherry with a bit of spice and a soupçon of menthol, lovely and nearly impossible to stop drinking. (91 pts.)

2006 Rhys Alesia Syrah Fairview Ranch - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (12/31/2016)
Bright brambly fruit but not too sweet with a little mint and pepper, it is evolving very slowly. (90 pts.)

2006 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir San Mateo County - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (11/27/2014)
Bright juicy red fruit with a little tomato skin and spice, it picks up intensity through the middle with fine tannin and a hint of tart acidity primes the mouth for another sip. This is a really pretty wine in its prime time, almost irresistible. (92 pts.)

2006 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir San Mateo County - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, San Mateo County (11/23/2017)
Pretty red fruit and spice with a little herbal tang, it is fine match for Thanksgiving dinner. (91 pts.)

2007 Rhys Alesia Pinot Noir Green Valley of Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Green Valley of Russian River Valley (4/7/2017)
Tangy cherry and raspberry with a bit of menthol, very nice. (91 pts.)

I have some in the 2006-2009 range willing to share.