TNs: 2002 Boillot & 1992 Leroy

Dinner at one of our favorite BYOBs, Sovana Bistro (I had a Wagyu beef tartare to start and then “Pork Two ways”, including pork belly over gruyere-mashed potatoes and pork thigh meat with pickled peppers). We started with the 2002 Henri Boillot Meursault Les Charmes, which I believe was a gift from Dr. Alex Anthopoulos - spot on tonight, with a lovely petrol nuance that I normally find more frequently in riesling, and not a trace of pre-mox to be found. Due to the lighting in the restaurant, I can’t be 100% sure of the color, but it struck me as a deeper gold - this was a really nice white Burg, and while I would hesitate to say it is at it’s apex, if you have it in the cellar, I definitely wouldn’t hesitate to pull a cork, as I find it hard to believe it will get much better.

Then on to the 1992 Leroy Savigny Les Beaunes Les Narbantons. Oh my, what a nose - black cherry, forest floor - really nice, and certainly more black-fruits than red, but I love this nose. All silky smooth on the palate, with tart/sweet cherry fruit. Great bottle from a so-so vintage, and although it’s fine right now, if you have it there is no real hurry to finish these up, as off this bottle I can’t see why this wouldn’t be drinking great in another 10 years.

Nice notes, thanks Bob.

I posted this on a '92 Leroy I had mid year…an somewhat underrated vintage?? I have had a few good wines from '92 now.

It has also been suggested a few times though that Leroy did in fact make very good '92’s (despite many so so reviews…).

“What is it with the 92 vintage??? Underrated at the top end maybe??

I brought a '92 Leroy Latricieres to a Gevrey lunch last month (plus a back up, just in case), but it was the wine of the day, and if anything closed after a while suggesting it might need even more time…

Just had a quick look at B/H, '92 reds and there is only 2 wines with a top score of 92, everything else is lower (including Jayer, DRC, Leroy…).”

Bobulus,

Good to see that the 2002 Boillot was in a good place … I have a few more in the cellar, we should get together soon and open one!

Alex