TNR: Krug Grand Cuvée NV: 164th Edition-2008 Base

Maybe if we commit to enough there will be a Krug Berserker Cuvée

The 164th Edition (2008 base) is a really, really good wine. It is definitely on the upper end of the Grande Cuvees I have had at such a young age, but I don’t think I have ever had a bad one and just about any of them with at least 15 years of post-disgorgement age are downright brilliant. This has great potential, but the best part of Krug clearly labeling each release is that you can see the differences between them; the quality is always high, but each one has its own expression.

As an aside, the 2002 based version of the Grande Cuvee (158th Edition) is in a really nice spot right now.

Brad, Thanks as always for your input. Have you had a chance to revisit the vintage 2002 brut?

The problem – ok, one of the main problems – is that one has no idea what version a given retailer has.

The “edition” has been added to the label.

-Al

But typically not to retailer websites, and if you call, well, retail help isn’t what it used to be

I agree, but at least the clear addition to the label gives a better basis for asking a retailer over the phone or returning if they send something different. Some shops are beginning to list the edition in the online inventory. But, at this point, I think it’s only being offered pre-arrival (I passed on an offer at $159 this week).

-Al

I feel like putting some age on them makes more of a difference than the base vintage. 10+ years or more and they are killer. Besting many
vintage Krugs.

+1. B-D brut rosé takes to aging also.

[commerce post removed, violation of rules - user warned]

i reached out to a friend who is in the biz to see if he can get us some around this price range. i told him that if he can, i know other folks who may be interested and we can help him move 20+ cases.

champagne.gif

In like sin for a case also at $120.

in, as well

Last had the 2002 in mid-April. It is singing with a great open expression, yet excellent precision and brightness. Dough, biscuits, nuts, orange, lemon, and touches of spice all are showing brilliantly. A rare vintage Krug that is tasty now and will be tasty well into the future.

A final comment on the edition 164 Grande Cuvee: it has a lot of richness, a lot of cut, and a huge finish. This combination is something that makes it a standout.

I agree that with long aging the base vintage differences of the Grande Cuvee start to blur. They are most important in the first decade after release as the differences are more apparent in this time period. After that, they all start to get really good, but the best releases tend to stay a cut above - at least IMO.

If the mass buy ever comes to fruition, I’d be in for a case too.

Well if it isn’t a pipe dream I’m in for 6!

I would be interested in 6

Well that’s a claim for 19 cases so far, anybody who didn’t say how much I assumed 6. I would be 6 or 12 as well depending on what side of 120 I’d guess. 375’s would be a plus for me.

I’m in for 3000 bottles at $60.