TNR: 1811 d'Yquem

I would love to see WB pick Sauternes as the topic of the month as they did all the regions of Burgundy. Although 12 percent of my cellar is Sauternes/Barsac, I feel like there is so much more to learn. Unfortunately, the more I learn, the more I feel that my cellar should be my children’s cellar in that area.

I would absolutely love this. Sauternes are 15% of my cellar (though probably 7.5% by volume since the vast majority are halves). I recently got to taste some very old sauternes (1949 and 1926 Coutet) because of a very generous collector, and I absolutely loved both. I’m still young so I’ll get to see a lot of sauternes evolve, but not quite to the age of the 1926…

I shared a 1959 Caillou with new wine drinkers last year and all of us had a wonderful experience. They made sure I had a full second glass. The only Y’quem I have is a 2001, but I sometimes think I should leave that for a grand daughter I don’t have yet.

Jancis has a tasting note, don’t have access. what’s it say?

Does not suck.

Bringing this one from the archives… I vaguely recalled that Christian Vanneque in an interview shortly after purchasing the wine noted he plans to open it in mid/late 2017 for an event (celebrating 50 years in the profession). Then, I recalled that he passed away in 2015. I do wonder if the wine was ever opened after all-- could not find any press on that. I guess it also serves as a sign for us all to share our wines while we can. c’est la vie

Ah, the 1811!

In general, I tend to be fond of pre-war wines.

The 1811 was considered the greatest of the comet vintages. Winemakers always felt, with zero evidence that vintages where a comet appeared especially blessed, which is probably why so many bottles survive.

Understatement of the year.

20 pts (tasted in 2002, fwiw)
A couple of quotes will set the tone:
" A quite amazing wine, served blind with 1831, 1911 and 1931 it was the most intense, yet least evolved of the lot."
“I hope very much to have a chance to taste it again before I die.”
QPR irrelevant.

Don’t be an idiot. There were wars before that.

It was rated the ultimate ‘100 points’ by wine critic Robert Parker and again 100 points by The Wine Spectator’s Per-Henrik Mansson in 1999.

I wonder if they tasted authentic bottles.

what a lineup. i would have liked to just smell that room with those bottles opened.

The Comet vintage. All wines from the vintage were out of this world

You mean the war of 1812? [snort.gif]

That’s my note…it was remarkable.

Maybe the best post this year LMFAO!

Sorry, I am still drinking through the 1809 and 1810’s [cheers.gif]

Too much Brett in vintages of comets that passed near Uranus

Thread drift… If d’Yquem is the top sweet Bordeaux wine, what is your number two? Climen? Fargues?

You mean the best post of 2011. [wink.gif]

Great new thread. Post it.