TN: Wines in Ireland

WINES IN IRELAND - Ireland (6/27/2014)

We just returned from 10 days in Ireland. While most of my drinking was beer with some Whisky mixed in, we did have a few bottles with dinners around the country. BTW, we had great food while there. I was not expecting the quality to be that high. I would recommend these places and others too.

• 2013 Ciù Ciù Offida Oris Falerio - Italy, Marche, Offida
    We had this at Ard Bia at Nimmos in Galway, Ireland. An interesting wine. This is a blend of Trebbiano, Passerina, Pecorino. Slight floral notes. Nice minerality. A bit of peach. Refreshing. Worked well with the Moroccan food. Nice value. (89 pts.)
  • 2013 Taringi Sauvignon Blanc - New Zealand, South Island, Marlborough
    Drank at the customs House in Derry, Northern Ireland, UK. A reasonably priced Sauvignon Blanc, it was everything I wanted at that price point. Green/silver/gold in color. A big fruity nose of gooseberries, tropical fruits and a bit of hay. Lush texture. Just a hint of sweetness. Easy to drink and refreshing on a hot, sunny day. Simple but enjoyable. (87 pts.)
  • 2009 Domaine Daniel et Denis Alary Côtes du Rhône Villages Cairanne La Font d’Estévenas - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Villages Cairanne
    We had this at the ely bar and brasserie in Dublin, Ireland. While perhaps not quite as good as the outstanding 2007, this was quite good. It was gently decanted (I asked our polish server to be more aggressive with it, but there was a language issue#. It took some time to open up. After an hour, it was drinking much better, but we were off to the theatre. BTW, this restaurant had the best list, cellar and wine service I saw in Ireland. I wish I had toured the cellar earlier as I might have ordered differently. In any event, this has nice black raspberry fruit with black pepper and some grilled meats. I don’t know the blend but the Syrah dominates at the moment although it seems as if there is Grenache in there. With time, it shows a nice complexity and balance. Deep and layered. Plenty of time left here. Under 30 Euros on the list which seemed good. #91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

We were there last fall for 4-5 days. I found prices were not out of line with Ohio’s all things considered… not the best out there but not unreasonable. I found a Musar at retail for a very good price, some moscato for Laura’s bday she enjoyed and had a nice Loire Chenin at a restaurant that paired well with Thai food. I don’t remember restaurant specifics as we didn’t go anywhere high-end but agree all the food was fairly high-quality and better than expected at reasonable prices. We also visited London during the trip where I drank all beers/ciders which were incredible but I would not hesitate to return to either.

I was in Dublin this past Feb. for 5 days. In the last three years I’ve clocked over 1,000 miles in Ireland.

Impressions:

Great people.
Great food.
Great beer.
Great whisky.
Great landscapes.
Great country.

We did about 1100 KM this trip and I would agree with all of your takes. The only place I was less than thrilled with was Belfast, UK.

Well all being well, I might have a few work trips over to Dublin again soon, so if anyone is over there midweek, I may be able to meet up for a meal/glass of something nice.

IIRC the above named Ely wine bar on St Stephens Green has a tasting every Thursday evening, but I’ve not been yet.

[quote=“Dave McCloskey”]I was in Dublin this past Feb. for 5 days. In the last three years I’ve clocked over 1,000 miles in Ireland.
quote]

Sounds like you walked 500 miles and then you walked 500 more.

IIRC, they do have a wine bar there, but this was the restaurant in the business district north of the Liffey. They have a cool cellar with lots of room for tastings if you put a group together.

Hi J1

Mixing your Celts can be almost as dangerous as mixing your drinks.

I’ve only been to SW Ireland for a golf trip (Killarney and Doonbeg). Here are my impressions:

Great people
Superb Beer
Great whiskey
Great Landscapes
Great Country
Amazing Golf
Terrible Food