TN: Three wines with Wayne

THREE WINES WITH WAYNE

• 1994 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Riesling Auslese - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Popped and poured. A touch of petrol, which increased a little with time, but a very clean, pure bouquet. Pineapple, lemon, gentle spices and a touch of toffee. Wayne guessed the Auslese’s vintage as 2001, then 1998, then correctly. Drinking relatively young for its age, but showing evolution. Not over sweet, some of the sugar presumably consumed over the years. Only 9% alcohol. Honey, citric, pineapple and apricot flavours, with a suggestion of botrytis. Glycerol and unctous with plenty of mid palate stuffing. It could have used a little more acid cut, but that’s a minor quibble. A lovely wine you could cellar for more development.
  • 1996 Dunn Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain
    Served this wine blind, I had no idea what it was … At one stage I thought a Left Bank Bordeaux but rejected it being Napa Cab because it was quite classical and savoury, nothing like the fruit profile I would have expected. Decanted 12 hours before tasting (which seemed a good level of aeration). The bouquet was dry underbrush, soy and bonfire, with a hint of Piemontese tar. Also savoury, black fruited, umami, soy, brushwood and tarry flavours. A suggestion of a vegetal profile (meant as a positive). It has lovely, grainy, sandy tannins. I guessed the vintage as 2005, 2003, 1998, then as 1996. Plenty of ripe fruit here, but an elegant, classical Cabernet Sauvignon. Drinking well on the night but the concentrated, intense, long finish suggests that there are plenty of years still left in the tank.
  • 2003 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage
    Popped and poured, which was probably a good idea as it seemed to shut down between hours 2 to 3. Deep, purply red. On bouquet, brighter, more primary red fruit than the Dunn. Kirsch, red plums and crème de cassis. Also, a little vanillin oak, although well integrated, with hints of dark chocolate. In the mouth, intense and very ripe, slightly pruney in parts. Polished red and black cherries and some plums. A little red liquorice. Huge scale and fruit volume. Major tannins rounded and quite well integrated. Coffee and toasty oak on the back palate, with a long finish. It was drinkable and enjoyable on the night, but it’s a baby, really. Revisit in 10-20 years.

Posted from CellarTracker

Hi Howard, really sorry I was not able to join you guys.Looks like you had some interesting wines there. Who’s wine was the Gunderloch?

Cheers Brodie

Brodie,

No worries. Next time.

The Gunderloch was mine.

Are you familiar with Dunns of this age? Is this what you would have expected?

Best, Howard