TN: The INFAMOUS 2007 Domaine Leroy Bourgogne-Aligoté (France, Burgundy, Bourgogne-Aligoté)

2007 Domaine Leroy Bourgogne-Aligoté - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne-Aligoté (9/28/2022)
It's baaaack! The infamous 07 Leroy Aligote...has enough reduction/sulfur to embalm a human being! Sometimes the reduction funk is akin to old school Coche match strike...other times, someone puked in a trash can! I've had this more than a half a dozen times...thanks to PC blowing these out back in the day for $19.99! I've always "appreciated" the funk in this...and to be honest, liked most of the bottles I've opened. Splashed decanted this 20 times...NEEDS serious air...ahhhh...there it is...that funky nose! No puke...more reduction match strike, burnt popcorn, petrol kind of funk. The fruit is GORGEOUS...still bright and crystalline with a little tart sharpness...puckering lemon, grapefruit citrus...has a creamy texture...vanilla butter...banana skin wax...but really some serious sharpness poking through with that citric acid. With some coaxing you do get a nice balanced blend at times...super savory crushed rock minerality...powdery flint...iodine...some pretty white flower florals...maybe some dried honey...but really no signs of age...hahaha cuz it's embalmed! You really have to be in the mood, and ready, for this wine...and definitely don't drink it in the company of other white Burgs, as it will stand out like a hooker at church! I like the wine...always have...will probably save my last bottle till the year 2057 just to see if Lalou had the 50yr mark as her target here. (93 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

@William_Kelley wondering what you think of their Aligote, if you’ve had it, and how does it compare to what she does with Domaine d’Auvenay? :cheers:

Hey, at least it’s only $127 bucks. I want to know what the tasting notes are for Lachaux Aligote at $1,100.00. Now THAT should have more than a whiff of formaldehyde.

2 Likes

We had the 13 of this recently in Paris. Lots of reduction but nowhere near as intense as yours sounded! Really delicious though and my wife ordered me to find more of it.

2 Likes
  • 2007 Domaine Leroy Bourgogne Aligote

• Burgundy, France

• Avg Price (ex-tax)
      • € 5,193 / 750ml

Probably d’Auvenay? Or…I’m selling!:flushed:

It’s from vines in the commune of Puligny, which I believe were acquired from Chartron, but I’m not sure about that. So deep soils vs the stony, sloping Sous Châtalet for d’Auvenay, and a sunnier exposition vs the north-east exposition of the latter. Viticulture is the same, but winemaking is quite different: the Domaine Leroy version is, as I understand it, fermented and matured in tank; whereas the d’Auvenay Aligoté is in 100% new oak.

2 Likes

In my experience, the d’auvenay version is a completely different beast, not just from the leroy one but from any other aligote period.