TN: Tercero Mourvedre...Rose and Rouge

• 2012 Tercero Mourvedre Larner Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (9/29/2017)
    Subtle style Mourvedre…I actually like to drink these a little chilled…med bodied dark red berry fruits, dusty tannins with good dryness, refreshing acidity, and complex earthy and briery nuances. Love the sour cherry and riper raspberry fruit, dried berry concentration, yet lighter in body…with the dusty wood spice taming the sweetness perfectly for me. Plenty going on in flavor town…briery forrest floor, sticks and branches…cigar box, cinnamon spice, dried tobacco leaves, pine needle…YES…Mourved funk, on the subtle side. Easy drinkin tastiness here! (93 pts.)
  • 2016 Tercero Mourvedre Rosé Camp Four Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (9/29/2017)
    Haven’t had this since the 13…and I’ve been missing out! Pretty copper color…refreshing melon bowl, dried roses, crushed rock quarry nose. I thought the 13 balance was impeccable…this is even more so! Zero alc fume…crisp cherry, peach, strawberry fruits…lifted cherry skin and orange acidity…crushed rocks with great saline minerality…with a peaches n cream creaminess. Has that liquid sunshine ala Provençal. Again, like with the 13, I wish there was some Mourved “funk” in this…some smoky underbrush or pine forrest(your feet where too clean Larry!)…but all in all this is SOME tasty Rosé! (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes, Buzz!

The color of Larry’s Rosé is always eye-catching!

Buzz,

Thanks for your notes, my friend. Glad you enjoyed both wines.

The 2012 Mourvedre you had was from the Larner Vineyard in Ballard Canyon. This was a special bottling of a single barrel, meant to show off the difference of this vineyard from my Santa Barbara County bottling. Larner is a special site, and to me, produces grapes that lead to more structured, ‘funky’ versions of the variety. The 2012 was in older oak for 28 months and is still a puppy - wondering if you saved any for day 2, when it really should pick up weight and show off more ‘funk’.

I’m also curious about the temperature you served the Rose at as I feel it shows best at cellar to room temperature. Also, did you save any for Day 2? This rose’s best days still lay ahead, and I find it drinks even better on Day 2 and sometimes Day 3.

Cheers!

I chilled the rose, but drank it outside and it did warm and become more expressive. I like to see a wine change as the temp changes. Also chilled the Mourvedre a little more than cellar temp and drank it like a darker rose…but it was much better at reg temps.

Yes leftovers for tonight, but I’m afraid my wife will probably finish them off, as I’ll be working late. Definitely going to be needing more of those for sure!

[cheers.gif]