TN: Some quick summer white wines

• 2008 Venge Vineyards Champ des Fleurs Proprietary White - USA, California, Napa Valley (7/26/2009)
    This was my third bottle of this wine. I really like it. This propriety blend of Chardonnay, Viognier, and Sauvignon Blanc offers a light enough package to work as a pleasant quaffer on a hot summer afternoon but complex enough to cause pause for thought. Initial notes of lemon grass and melon give way to a hefty dose of creme brulee and buttery pastry. A nice dose of acidity lifts it up and keeps the residual sweetness from being cloying. I’m considering picking up a case as a house white. (88 pts.)
  • 2008 Araujo Estate Sauvignon Blanc Altagracia - USA, California, Napa Valley (7/24/2009)
    This wine needs more body. It is tart and thin and possesses very little taste beyond a big burst of lemon. Served btg at “Go Fish” restaurant in St Helena. (79 pts.)
  • 2008 Quivira Sauvignon Blanc Fig Tree - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (7/21/2009)
    Very California style Sauv Blanc. Grassy nose but lemon taste with a touch of sweetness. Fun, but not a wine that spurs much thought. (80 pts.)
  • 2008 Condes de Albarei Albariño Rías Baixas Salneval - Spain, Galicia, Rías Baixas (7/18/2009)
    Pleasant, simple, and inexpensive. Nice pineapple flavors for a summer day. (81 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’m sorry to here that the Condes RB was not too exciting. I really enjoyed the 07 and was hoping the 08 would be great also. I’m surprised to here about the the week showing on the Araujo as well. Uncommon for this winery, No?

I normally pass on the whites. This is the summer of Rose’ though, close enough.

Been working on Territorial 2008 Rose’, nice dry crisp flavor, citrus and just a hint of tart, beautiful color and very fresh tasting.

A-Z 2007 Rose’ - This is a memory since it started the spring and the case was history by the end of June. Very nice Rose’, great pricepoint.

2007 J. Thomas (Acme Winery) - This was a sleeper in that he normally does not make it. I heard about it and scored a case immediately. We popped on a few nights ago and for my taste it was the least favorite of the summer Rose’s. I will save the remaining bottles for tailgaters in September. They will drink anything at Autzen if it has alcohol in it and is cold.

Cheers!!! and Go Ducks [dance-clap.gif]