TN: Some great wines tasted at the Grocery Store

SOME GREAT WINES TASTED AT THE GROCERY STORE - Heinen’s Downtown Cleveland (9/4/2016)

So, yesterday, my wife and i found ourselves with about 30 minutes to kill before meeting up with friends for the Cleveland Indians game (great game). We stopped at Heinen’s which is a local chain that has a store in an historic bank building in downtown Cleveland. The wine department is nice and they also have those pressurized tasting machines where you can buy a 1,3 or 5 ounce pour. The bottle prices on the 20 or so wines ranged from $12 to $450. I decided to try some higher end wines that a) I probably would not buy and b) even if I did, they would be way too young to drink now. I thought considering the location, the prices were fair. I took a new glass for each taste. It ended up being a lot of fun and informative.

• 2012 Vérité Le Désir - USA, California, Sonoma County
    Purple/ruby. Nose is big. Cassis, lumber, vanilla and mocha. Firm tannins. Lots of casssis and sone black raspberries. Not reaalt dark fruits but powerful. Incredible length. Hold for ten years min. $19.50/ one ounce taste. (95 pts.)
  • 2012 Hourglass Cabernet Sauvignon Blueline - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Purple, slight ruby. Huge wine but not overbearing. Nose of blueberries,coffee, cassis, and lumber. Very tannic. Cassis and bleberries on palate. Powerful with a lot going on. Nees five to ten years. Long finish. $7/one ounce pour. (96 pts.)
  • 2012 Continuum Proprietary Red - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Ruby purple in color. The nose is tight/light. Slight red berry note. On the palate this is fullbody but not huge. More flavors than the nose. Coffee and cassis. Nice conplexity. I would think an hour decant has this is a nice place. $11.50/one ounce taste. (94 pts.)

I am curious how often they change the bottles and/or the selection. There were other wines I wouldn’t mind trying, but this was a great way to do pre-game.
Posted from CellarTracker

Love the notes Loren…but I hate the fact that we have nothing even close to a grocery store of that caliber here in AZ. Pressurized tasting machines, are you kidding me? We’re lucky to find Apothic Dark at most places here :slight_smile:

I totally agree with you on that 12 Hourglass BlueLine. Needs more time for sure but I thought it was an awesome wine with a bright future. I have a 12 estate as well that I’m hanging onto. Judging by the Blue line, I’m confident it will be damn good down the road.

Wow! I agree with Rich. Thoroughly jealous of what you have going on in Cleveland (words I never expected to utter in my life). Even in Seattle where we have some fairly decent grocery store wine departments, you would never see anything that good available for tasting. However, you can taste all the Chateau Ste Michelle your heart would ever desire!

The TN that most intrigues me is the 2012 Continuum. I’m starting to become a real slut for the fruit from Pritchard Hill. Every bottle I’ve tasted from wineries with vineyards there have knocked my socks off and leave me actively hungry to find more.