TN: Some blind Syrahs

Local wine shop was pouring a flight of 6 syrahs, with the option to taste them blind.

2015 Melville Syrah Estate - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (9/15/2018)
Dark red color, lighter medium body than the other syrahs in the flight; starts with a fairly nice nose, then a quite rich, lush palate, with a sweet candied and roasted/sur maturite note. Good acidity, but the lighter body, lushness and roasted character suggest this was picked quite ripe and watered back. (84 pts.)

2015 Eric Texier Côtes du Rhône Saint-Julien-en-Saint-Alban - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Saint-Julien-en-Saint-Alban (9/15/2018)
Dark, opaque, nicely rich darker fruit, good acidity, medium fine tannins, a bit of good complexity and interest, quite tasty. Nice Syrah, and a great QPR. (90 pts.)

2013 Andrew Rich Syrah Prometheus - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (9/15/2018)
Some earth/spice on the nose, fairly ripe and rich, not candied but quite ripe. Good acidity, nice flavor for such a ripe wine, but the strong, lingering alcohol spice note is distracting. (86 pts.)

2014 Radio-Coteau Syrah Harrison Grade - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (9/15/2018)
Quite nice medium depth, good medium richness, good balance, hints of spice and a touch of complexity, though comes across a bit primary and grapey. (90 pts.)

2015 J.L. Chave Sélection St. Joseph Offerus - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (9/15/2018)
Light, slightly earthy/spice nose, quite deep and intense but in a well controlled way, has some nicely complex flavors, very tasty. Quality Syrah in an affordable package. (91 pts.)

2015 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah In the Hills - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (9/15/2018)
Ripe nose, very sweet, lush, candied, OK balance but just too sweet. (85 pts.)

Too bad about the 2015 Melville. I really enjoyed the 2014 Estate.

Alan,

Which shop was this?

Cheers

Interesting that the 2 Washington wines get the boot.

you might like this 15 as well, could just be different tastes.

I actually went in to try the Reynvaan, never having had one, and hearing good things. All I can say is that they were blind to me, and these were my impressions.

Tried the ‘14 version of that Chave last year. Clearly an excellent wine, but with a bit too much oak on the nose to buy again. The ‘15 sounds like it swelled the oak better for now.

I don’t think I’ve ever picked up much oak on any Chave wine. A the price point of this one, I kind of doubt there is any new on it at all. I did have the 14 version earlier this year, and really liked it, more typical of the cooler, difficult vintage, but an excellent wine, particularly for vintage and price.

2014 is at CT 90.6. (92 from me), while 2015 is at 86.4. Sounds like you’re not alone with your feelings of “meh”.
I think 2015 is the transition year between winemakers, hoping it’s a fluke.

I was puzzled myself! I’ll see what they have now.