TN: Seven wines from 1978 (CA and WA), and a few others...

What color are your Ch St Jean Rieslings ? I still have a few from that era at various high RS levels - SLH, IDBSLH - and they are very dark and opaque in the bottle. Not at all like my couple of German BAs from slightly older vintages.

Same - amazingly dark but not oxidized. I asked a prof in the wine department at a local university if anyone had investigated why there was this difference between German and American Rieslings with similar age and RS and he thought it might make an interesting project to find out. It also occurs to me that old Australian liqueur Muscats tend to follow the American example.

My last bottle of a German 1976 Beerenauslese was dark amber, but not browning.

Agreed (with the caveat that the aging window in which I prefer wines is probably longer than average).

There are 3 Washington producers that I buy where - based on my experience - I no longer even think about opening their wines until 10 years past vintage: Betz, Cadence, and Abeja. And I’d say that 10 years is just the starting point. I think 15-25 years is the sweet spot for these (and maybe longer). YMMV.

Had the VME last year. Nice bottle of wine, but drink soon.

Thanks Mark.

You may very well be surprised. I wouldn’t wait any longer, though.