TN: Raveneau, Truchot, Roumier

DINNER AT RESTAURANT ZOE - Restaurant Zoe - Seattle, WA (7/21/2012)

Met up with Rick and Lee for dinner at Zoe. The food was really great, and I thought the service was quite good too.

• 2001 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    Just kept getting better with time…sadly, we just couldn’t keep our hands off of it! Nose was shy at first, but soon developed beautiful flint, tidal pool, and pear tones. The flavors were deep and dense - the pear and seashell tone really dominated the palate. With air, it seemed to gained weight. Really good stuff. (92 pts.)
  • 2004 Domaine Truchot-Martin Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Blanchards - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru
    Beautiful nose of sweet cherry, dried florals and subtle beef broth. The palate was airy with primary floral notes, underbrush, herbs and minerals. Softly coats the palate…just wish there was more. Wonderful wine. (92 pts.)
  • 2004 Domaine Truchot-Martin Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Ruchots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru
    Drank alongside a 2004 Les Blanchards. This was a bit darker and meatier. The florals were toned down just a touch, and the nose had more raw beef to it. Palate was equally airy as the Blanchards, but this seemed to have a slightly more dense flavor to it. A bit more length, and a bit more serious…loved this. (93 pts.)
  • 1993 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny
    Very reduced nose. Lots of rubber, tar, dark cherry and wild flowers. Palate was very reduced at first and seemed to resolve (a bit) with time. The rubber/tar tone seemed to soften a bit, but this just didn’t seem to take on much in the way of vintage or producer characteristics. No rating from me.

Posted from CellarTracker

Good to see some solid '04s

The Truchot '04s are delicious, though I think they need to be drunk up.

I held the same thinking, but last nights 1ers seemed a bit younger than others from 2004 I’ve had.

[scratch.gif]

Recent '04s for me (Clos de la Roche, Charmes) seemed to be picking up more green than the tiny amount they once had. I have found the Blanchards to be the greenest of a barely green lot in the past.

Hmm, not my experience. Just had both of them at a truchot dinner in NY last month and all of us thought they showed great with no green.

The Truchots that Matt brought to Zoe were my first experiences with the producer. Lovely stuff… I need to hunt down some if I can. FYI, I got no green notes from either wine. Thanks for opening those Matt.

The Raveneau was, sadly, my only bottle of that wine. Lovely stuff and while I liked where it was there’s certainly no reason to drink your 01s in a hurry if you have some.

It was a fun night. Sadly my Roumier didn’t show well, but so it goes. We had plenty of good wine to drink. Today with lunch I opened one of the backup bottles, the 1997 Druet Grand Mont. It was great right out of the bottle, and is still great now that it’s been open a few hours.

Sadly I am much more sensitive to the greenies since the accident.

Last summer, Jacky Truchot told me to drink the 2004s but hold the 2003s. My experience is that the 2004 premier crus I have tasted are pretty mature, but that the 2004 Clos de la Roche is still quite young.

Have not had the Charmes or the Blanchard, but the 2004s I have had did not show any green. They have included the Clos de la Roche.

Somehow, Truchot never made it into the Seattle area wine community that i know of. Don’t know anyone in the local Burg community who actually has any. Someone please fix this.

The new Zoe food has been great each time I’ve been there. Scott and Heather, the proprietors, were once in our wine group when they used to have something called free time. I would recommend always having a chef in your wine group.

Great stuff Matt

It was out of the market until Cordon Selections brought it back in 02’, 03’. I kick myself because I was offered multiple cases of back vintages for around $30-$60 from PC to GC, I was an idiot for not buying…

I thought I remembered hearing about some restaurant in Seattle that, at least a few years ago, had a good bit of Truchot.

It seems that Ravenueau has the lowest number of greenie meanie bottles from the 2004 vintage - or is that an inaccurate perception?

Raveneau or Truchot?

Oh crap - thought the Raveneau was '04 - my mistake

Purple, perhaps. Matt mentioned them at dinner. But it never really made an appearance on the shelf - one of the issues is that the market her doesn’t get allocated a lot of Burg from national importers so we don’t buy a lot in relation to the size of the market… so our allocation isn’t great… so… it’s a circle.

And then Matt L got there? [wink.gif]