TN: Radikon Rosso RS18....Vile Stuff...(short/boring/painful)

I think Tom needs to try it in Magnum, because the larger format will be TWICE AS GOOD>!

Showed it to three more winos this afternoon. They were repulsed.
I have a winemaker friend in Calif to whom Iā€™ll send a sample and heā€™ll run the VA numbers on it. Iā€™m sure itā€™s well above the 0.14% allowable limit. Iā€™ll report back the #'s.
Tom

2 Likes

Only Radikon I had was 2007 Jakot in 500ml bottle.

At the time I was a wine buyer. It was really vile, no need to go into how bad it tasted. When I spoke to the salesman about it, he said it was supposed to be that way.

There are some fine wines from Dressner, the Radikon Jakot was a punishing joke.

I think Dressner had a lot of punishing jokes!

Chateau Musar is a great example of what a fellow WV winemaker calls ā€œthe kiss of corruptionā€, when speaking to how small amounts of ā€œflawsā€ can make a wine more interesting and enjoyable. I generally liked Chateauneuf-du-Pape more back in the day when reasonable amounts of Brett would often, IMO, make the wines more interesting and also strip a bit of the opulence out of the fruit. And if itā€™s a small influence, both pediacoccus and brett can make a wine more interesting. With our use of whole cluster, my wines are almost always near the threshold for perception of VA and that presence definitely lifts the aromatics and adds a layer to the wines(IMO).

A ā€œkiss of corruptionā€ was often a part of many great traditional wines, not because they were ā€œnaturalā€ but because traditional winemaking didnā€™t have access to ozone, cross-flow, asper nigellus, or any other of the tools and techniques for controlling microbial issues. For a long time egg whites and regular racking would have been among the only options, and the year round cool temperatures of caves would have been an incredible advantage. You can basically see the disappearance of Brett in the large majority of Willamette Valley wines beginning around 2005 as ozone and steam both became available for small wineries. When I started in 2002, the presence of brettanomyces was one of the more common flaws(though often when it was a modest influence the wines would still be very good. These days, itā€™s something one hears about fairly rarely.

But the idea that wines that are riddled with EA, VA, mousiness, and a host of other flaws, including simply being oxidized, are ā€œthe way the wine was supposed to beā€ is just foolish. It is like removing all of the safety features in race cars and then running the race and saying that whatever carnage occurred is just the way it was supposed to be.

4 Likes

Clearly the most interesting TH TN thread Iā€™ve found.

Great thread. I presume you wine retailer would be fine with the ā€œitā€™s supposed to taste like thatā€ excuse when heā€™s served a piece of spoiled fish, because thatā€™s the way spoiled fish is supposed to taste

Just think of this as lutefisk!

Well, Davidā€¦good point. I doubt he would accept it. However, in asmuch as he runs the ArroyoVino restaurant & some customer
complained about a spoiled fishā€¦he might very take that tack!!
Tom

So I was preparing the sample btl to send to Calif. It was a small btl the TablasCreek olive oil came in (187 ml). On the side of the btl was a small/clear plastic decal w/ the TCV logo on it. I overpoured & some of the Radikon ran down the side of the btl. I stoppered up the btl and went about my tasks. Some 10 min later, when I looked at the btl, the clear plastic label had turned solid black. Guess that Radikon is one pretty fierce solvent!! Think what it must be doing to your insides!!
Tom

Almost without fail, I have found this to be very true. [cheers.gif]

In todayā€™s NYTimes:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/29/dining/drinks/great-wines.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Food,
Eric tries to define (not very successfully) what makes a wine great.

And important part of what makes a wine good (or great) is if we can find something in it we recognize. Itā€™s like you are walking down the street
and two people are walking towards you. One is Lady Gaga (say) and the other is your Mom. Which one brings more pleasure to your heart
when you see them?? I know for danged sure it wouldnā€™t be Lady Gaga, even if she was wearing a see-thru top.
Thatā€™s what makes some of the weird stuff I taste so difficult. If itā€™s totally out of my realm of experience, I really have trouble evaluating it.
Even if its a Radikon Rosso & I know Iā€™m supposed to like it because thatā€™s the way itā€™s supposed to taste (as I have been told).
Tom

I follow, but am unwilling to be dogmatic about it. The ā€œgreatestā€ wine Iā€™ve ever tasted was the first example of that type of wine I ever had. Even to this day, my opinion on that wine remains the same, despite now having had many various examples of that wineā€™s type.

Even if its a Radikon Rosso & I know Iā€™m supposed to like it because thatā€™s the way itā€™s supposed to taste (as I have been told).
Tom

[rofl.gif]

I do have to say, Iā€™m a big believer in ā€œIf you like it, then itā€™s (at least) good (for you),ā€ and I always give room for differences in palate preferences (i.e.: just because I, or some other person, or some highly-respected critic, or God, says itā€™s great does not necessarily mean you are going to like it, or even should like it). That said, I do believe there is something to be said for a general consensus among those who ā€œknow what theyā€™re talking about.ā€

Martinā€™s point struck a chord with me because I have lived that experience many times over with folks (usually family members) who almost always spend less than $20 per bottle, and frequently less than $10. Probably the biggest surprise was a few years ago when we discovered my mom enjoys French Cab Franc. [wow.gif]

Never liked the reds from Radikon. The Sivi Pinot is pretty good, but there are better orange wines out there, like Paraschos and Terpin.

You know what else is? Itā€™s also known as ā€œthe universal solventā€. Water!

Think what it must be doing to your insides!! blahblah rolleyes

Well, I bought a bottle at the cafe around the corner from our shop.

Yes itā€™s volatile, but I found that mostly on the finish, I found the sharp tannins a little more obtrusive than the VA.

• 2018 Radikon RS - Italy, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Collio (02/12/2021)
    Dark purple, some Xmas spice but lots of ripe purple fruit. 14% alcohol and quite big in every way. It is volatile, but that was mostly seen on the finish, the tannin is a little sharp, very big sweet fruited. Full of character and not for all, but enjoyable for sure.

Posted from CellarTracker

In a way not unlike a Bonneau Speciale, full throttle.

YMMV

Thanks for taking one for the team, Russell.
I wouldnā€™t be surprised if there are differing lots of this wine distributed across the country.
But it doesnā€™t sound particularly pleasant, either.
Tom

Possibly. Also transport probably comes into it.

It wasnā€™t what I would normally pick, just the 14% would put me off at lunch. But this bottle was certainly enjoyable if full on.

ā‚¬65 in a restaurant.

For context, would you mind naming some producers or specific wines that generally do find unenjoyable because of excessive faults? Iā€™d be especially interested to know examples that are because of excessive VA, but I know thatā€™s getting pretty specific and that itā€™s often a combination of things that makes a wine unenjoyable. Since your shop specializes in natural wines, I suspect youā€™re more tolerant to some of this stuff than most other people. The only wine on your website that might support that is Radikon Jakot, but I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve had that vintage. I am not familiar with most of the other wines you carry, other than a few whites that always seem clean to me and I really like. Iā€™m a lot less tolerant of VA/EA than a lot of people, so Iā€™m not saying my opinions are the best benchmark either. I always keep in mind how much individual sensitivities can vary. I would be very surprised if more than a tiny percentage of wine drinkers enjoy the Radikon Jakots that Iā€™ve tried, though. They have smelled and tasted like they might make me sick, literal gag reflex.

Well, I invest a lot of time and thought into wines I buy for myself and for the shop.

I donā€™t often find issue with VA so whilst somewhat tolerant I easily recognise it. A recent Egon Muller AGK was adored by most around me but I found it very volatile.

There are two wines Iā€™ve poured away after a few sips in recent months, both were due to Brett, or something else leading to quote fecal notes. One was a sparkling White from Burgundy, the other a German red.

Iā€™ve more personal experience with the Slatnik and Oslvaje than the Jackot, but have tried them all several times and always enjoyed them.

They have a small but strong following here!

1 Like