TN: Pinot noir you wouldn’t serve to your worst enemy

Based on some of the Cali Pinot I’ve tasted, it seems that there’s a demand for Pinot that has the taste and consistency of cherry cola syrup.

I like to ask people I’m hanging out with why they like a particular wine. Many don’t care that much, they just want something easy, and usually only know a few things about wine. E.g., reds are Pinot or Cab, whites can be Chardonnay or (anything else). Those with Pinot preferences seem to like lighter weight, fruity wines. Cab lovers want something heavy, rich and strong. The makers of mass produced wines get it - they’re selling a brand and an attitude as much as (or more than) a grape/alcohol drink with a particular flavor profile.

For Wine Berserkers (i.e. us) these kinds of wines are an entirely different kind of product. It shouldn’t be called wine, would be great if they came up with a new name for it (Grape-ahol anyone?). I’ve given up entirely on trying to find drinkable mass produced stuff. I just assume that if something is called Vampire or Strawberry Sundae it’s going to be crap.

And pretty much ANY OTHER wine they produce…

TTT