TN: Pepe il Due...no skunks here!

• 2017 Emidio Pepe Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo - Italy, Abruzzi, Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo (10/9/2018)
    More like a lighter transparent red than a Rose’…pretty color…nose full of cherries and raspberries crushed with dirty feet(in a good way!)…red licorice, dried flower and herb garden florals. Juicy and full flavored Rose’ here, showing a tangy and tart acidity, with some tannic edge to it…yet, surprisingly polished for such rustic wine. The flavors and florals are wonderful…the brightest of fruit and herb gardens in full bloom…LOVE the vibrant cherry ala Chambolle in this…also some sneaky tar and cinnamon stick spice. Crushed minerality really add a nice saline character that shapes the sweet fruit well, and gives it a solid structure. This is just fantastic imo…much more of a wine than just a Summer poppin Rose’. (94 pts.)
  • 2016 Emidio Pepe Montepulciano d’Abruzzo - Italy, Abruzzi, Montepulciano d’Abruzzo (10/9/2018)
    Open in bottle for 5hrs…dark inky black cherry color…somewhat shy nose of anise, blackberry, currants, tar, slight brett ala Rhone funk. Juicilicious wine here…deep and dark fruited, borderline dried raisined, yet a freshness with that Italian acidity that energizes like no other. This is SO young…I get it…showing monolithic plushness, a polished El Capitan with its size and age ability…this dude will outlive me for sure. Wonderful dark earth and minerality…florals, smoky tar, fruit jam…an intriguing wine for sure, that will only get better. ++pts (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Fantastic! Thanks for the notes!

_Some_body got a mixed case! I want to come over to your house! champagne.gif

First time I’ve ever had any of their wines. You can just feel the old school in them, the rusticity, built to age, yet polished enough to get some enjoyment out of them young. Can’t wait to try the Trebbiano as well. And…a good lookin famiglia too! [cheers.gif]
F4A46810-42F1-435C-8409-A623A942C52A.jpeg

Buzz,

You will love this interview with Chiara De Iulis Pepe. They don’t recommend drinking these wines young, but it looks like you bought enough to check in on them from time to time.
I was planning to submit it in a separate thread when I saw your note.

Cheers,
Warren

Thank you for that! Was wondering why I was only getting goo goo gaga from the wine in response! Now I know. [wow.gif]