TN: OjaiRed TW Mini-Vertical..(short/boring)

Tried these ystrday afternoon:

1. OjaiVnyd OjaiRed Calif RTW (14.5%; BtlCode: 11/27; LaserCode: 12/04/14) NV: Med.dark color; classic Ojai/toasty/oak some PN/Syr light earthy/dusty nose; bit tart rather lean/hard some PN/black cherry/blackberry/spicy light earthy flavor w/ ample hard/bitey tannins; long rather hard/tannic light earthy some PN/black cherry/blackberry/cola light toasty/oak bit tart finish w/ rather hard/rough tannins; a rather hard/stiff/austere red that needs age. $18.00

1. OjaiVnyd OjaiRed Calif RTW (14.5%; BtlCode: 10/13; LaserCode: none) NV: Rather dark color; lovely Syrah/blackberry/raspberry/spicy/bit peppery rather perfumed/fragrant lovely nose; lightly tart bright/raspberry/strawberry/spicy/Syrah/blackberry/peppery light toasty/oak flavor w/ light/bitey tannins; long bright/strawberry/blackberry/Syrah/peppery light toasty/Ojai oak finish w/ light/bitey tannins; speaks mostly of Syrah/Grenache; a very tasty red at a great price. $16.00

1. OjaiVnyd OjaiRed Calif RTW (14.5%; BtlCode: 10/10; LaserCode: 12/02/13) NV: Med.color; strong bright/strawberry/Grenache/spicy bit blackberry/Syrah light toasty/oak quite fragrant bit complex very attractive nose; lightly tart/tangy bit lean bright/strawberry/Grenache bit blackberry/peppery/Syrah slight toasty/Ojai oak flavor w/ light/gentle tannins; med.long tart strawberry/Grenache bit peppery/Syrah/blackberry finish w/ light/bit bitey tannins; a really lovely drinkable red at a great price. $14.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. OjaiRed: This is an annoymous blend (both red & white) that Adam makes at irregular intervals. When they are ready to btl, they pump from the barrels into a blending tank, from which they then btl. As they’re pumping out the barrels, when the see lees start to flow, they stop the pumping, leaving some sediment-laden wines in the barrels. This leftover wine is than filtered and put into a holding tank. So it’s a kitchen-sink blend of the usual Ojai suspects: Pinot/Syrah/Grenache/etc. It is eventually bttld and moved out thed door at a very low price (considering the quality of its ingredients). It is one of our no-brainer buys every yr.
    The blend obviously varies from release to release. There’s no way of telling what’s in it. The btls/labels all look the same…no lot #…no nuthin. A few yrs ago, they started doing a laser etch onto the btl w/ the bttling date. But you have to look very/very closely to find it. Not good for old folks.
    I received my latest case of OjaiRed last week and tasted it this weekend and was surprised by the hardness of the tannins. So I started rummaging around the house (don’t ask) and dredged up two more btls of OjaiRed to try alongside the new one. The BtlCode is the date stamped into the btl at the bottom to indicate when the btl was manufactured. I had to squint closely for the laser code, in the correct sunlight, to get the etched laser code in the two btls that had one.
    Anyhoo…this is the mini-vertical of OjaiReds. I have little doubt that the latest release (#1) will not mature into something really nice drinking. May even go out 6-8 yrs as well I would guess. But the OjaiRed’s are a great deal at a stupid/silly price.
    Tom

Found anuther one last night:

1. OjaiVnyd OjaiRed Calif TW (Btl code:9-23; Laser code: 2/24/09) NV: Med.color w/ no bricking; light pencilly/toasty/oak/smokey bit cedary/PN/black cherry/earthy some complex nose; bit tart slightly dried out/tannic fairly smokey/cedary/Fr.oak some earthy/black cherry/PN bit complex flavor w/ light/astringent tannins; med.long slight floral/lavender some black cherry/PN/earthy some smokey/pencilly/cedary/oak slightly tart some old PN finish w/ light/drying tannins; showing a bit of age & starting to dry out but still very much alive & offers up some interesting aged characteristics; some like an older ABC Pinot w/o the Clendenen oak. $13.00

No BP today.
Tom