TN: NV Laherte Frères Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Nature (France, Champagne)

Picked-up a bottle of Nature de Craie at WHWC yesterday. Looking forward to giving it a go. … also added a Suenen Oiry and a '14 Marguet Ambonnay Rose. All will be firsts for me. :clinking_glasses:

@brigcampbell , I see you thoroughly enjoyed that Marguet. WHWC has a handful of bottles remaining.

2 Likes

Brian, are you referring to the Ultradition brut or the BdB? If the brut, then your experience syncs with my own. But I’m curious about the BdB. I will likely give it a spin soon just to try.

Ohhhhh … mmmm … I can’t honestly say I was even aware of the different Ultradition bottlings … {runs off to check CT} … back now: it was the Ultradition “Extra Brut”. I put “Extra Brut” in quotes because at least one of the bottles had 4.5 g/L dosage. Additionally, upon reading my second of two notes (written in Dec. '20), I see I called it “fantastic for $40”, which doesn’t jive with my memory — we can chalk this up to faulty memory, at least in part, although part of me also thinks my experience and exposure have been significantly broadened since I wrote that note. All this mumble-jumble aside, the bottom line is the Ultradition EB is not a bottle I figure to buy again in the future, as there’s other stuff out there I’d rather be spending my money on. I’d be willing to give the Ultradition BdB a shot, though — curious to hear what you eventually think about it, shall you give it a whirl.

Good stuff!!

There’s more than one Ultradition???

The one BN de Craie I opened was kinda wild and seemed like it needed some time to calm down.

1 Like

Apparently. :man_shrugging:

Per CT, there is Brut, Grand Brut, Extra Brut, and BdB. From the labels on CT it looks like the Grand Brut designation was used on the old labels, so I am going to assume that is now the Brut. The Extra Brut and Brut are reported as 60% Meunier, so I assume the BdB should be entirely different in style. With 6 g/l dosage I don’t expect the verve of the Nature, so I may just grab a bottle or two and will try to temper my expectations accordingly.

2 Likes

Graf, be careful with the temperature on the Nature de Craie. I have probably said this before but drink it with just a light chill. If you treat it this way, the wine will express itself to its true form versus choking it with too much chill.

Thanks for this, Frank. I’ll tape a little reminder note on the bottle (otherwise I promise I’d forget).

I agree with this but can’t really put my finger on why exactly. Btw, all my Ultradition bottles are labeled ‘extra brut’ but they are the old silver labels not the new artsy ones (which are lovely)

1 Like

What is everyone paying for the laberte bdb brut nature? Havent had, but curious to try, not sure what a ‘reasonable’ price is for it. Thanks!

About $60 seems to be the going rate. Some retailers may have discounts which lower this. Don’t think I’ve seen it at less than $55 full price. With the sharply increasing price of so many Champagnes (hey, that sounds like a good thread idea…) this overdelivers at the price point IMO.

2 Likes

I’m seeing closer to $50 on Wine-Searcher Pro. Down to Earth has it at $49, though I think it was a little less off the email offer.

1 Like

That is a good price and I probably spoke too soon on pricing. My memory was $55 or $60 but was always buying with discounts and shipping included so the end price was at or under $50 all in.

1 Like

Wine Access has it for $60, with free shipping on $150, and I’m sure there are promo codes to knock that down further. Appreciate the insight, glad to hear their price isnt too far off when thinking about shipping and discounts

I got magnums for 99 dollars from Caveau in Portland Oregon. This is limited and I’m a member of their champagne club.

B-21 has some for $60, and with no tax and the $12 flat shipping, if you can add other things to the box before it leaves, then the shipping per bottle gets cheap. $60 is not a great price, as there are some cheaper in other stores but when you hit the other stores’ price with tax and shipping, then things don’t look so disparate.

As a side note, a buddy and I got some for $47 with no tax and decent shipping (I think about $3.00 a bottle) back around November. Man, I should have bought more than 3 at that price. :roll_eyes: :grimacing:

2 Likes

The Bottle List has it at $47.50 on pre-arrival. If you put together a case (mix and match) you get $36 credit on ground shipping. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

I have been a satisfied customer with them, but they insist on using styrofoam shippers which is a real problem for me.