TN: NV José Michel & Fils Champagne Cuvée du Père Houdart

Chris,
Thanks for the data point. Sounds like what my bottle was like before it changed. Maybe it was me and I was off Friday night. Looking forward to trying another.
Thanks.

Very helpful discussion. Thanks to Warren for the cross reference. [cheers.gif]

I opened my second bottle of this and it was much more in-line with the positive notes upthread and on CT. Perhaps I had an off bottle, or there is some variation. Last night’s bottle was pretty excellent. Like my first bottle, before it turned weird. Consumed this one over the course of 90mins in new Liberte glasses, which seem to be a nice fit for champagne.

I opened a bottle of this at our monthly tasting group dinner a few months ago and it showed quite well. I love aged wine and typically don’t like Pinot Meunier so much, but I like Jose Michel in general, so I took a flyer on this one. It really came off like a nice version of an aged vintage Champagne, albeit not a blockbuster. Very fine mousse, but like most older Champagne it was fading in intensity. I really liked the complexity and elegance. Our bottle did not fade or turn strange when revisited perhaps 2 1/2-3 hours later at the end of dinner. I would recommend for lovers of older Champagne who don’t want to break the bank or wait 20 years to let it age. Definitely a 1 on the binary scoring system.

Glad to see more favorable impressions as Brad Baker rarely if ever sends me down the wrong path and I’m sitting on several as a result of his notes.

Popped tonight.

Racy acidity, which was almost overwhelming before the fruit showed up after ~15-20 min. Quite complex, interesting, smooth, quite mineral and almost vinous. Not a good choice if you’re looking for a easy quaffer that doesn’t require much thought. Agree with previous notes that it drinks young. In the end, solid if not transcendent.

NV José Michel & Fils Champagne Cuvée du Père Houdart - France, Champagne (10/7/2019)

Opened by Allred. This wine is a blend of older vintages (1971, 1975, 1976, 1982 and 1984) together with some 2011 and released in 2018. The cepage is 40% Pinot Meunier, 40% Pinot Noir and 20% Chardonnay. 4 g/l dosage. This was a lovely champagne with a fine bead. Notes of citrus, chalk and a hint of iron. This only had a slight oxidative note which did not detract from the wine in my opinion. Long lingering finish. 94-95 points.

VM

Very cool to see you over here, VM! I abandoned the slow WS board when they changed their platform a couple (few?) years ago and found it unpleasant. There are a few posters, yourself included, whose contributions I miss.

• Brashley

Thanks for the kind words. I stopped posting there around a year ago.

VM

Also purchased from the 9/18 Envoyer offering. Only bought one to try it, but we really enjoyed it. We drank it with dinner one night, so maybe only in the glass for about an hour. Here’s our note:

Presented way younger than expected, given the age of the base wines. This was a very enjoyable bottle, not showing any signs of oxidation. The nose was very pinot-driven, with some classic earthy funk. The palate was bright and toasty. Was expecting a touch more acidity. This was very fun to drink.

Thanks to everyone for the notes. Looking forward to opening one in short order.