TN: NV Gonzalez-Byass - Jerez-Xérès-Sherry "Apóstoles" Palo Cortado Muy Viejo 30 Años

NV Gonzalez-Byass Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Apóstoles Palo Cortado Muy Viejo 30 Años - Spain, Andalucía, Jerez-Xérès-Sherry (8/6/2012)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –
– mostly Palomino with a little Pedro Ximenez blended in –

NOSE: tawny; nutty; interesting high-toned note; oak; raisins; underlying brininess that is reminiscent of a good Manzanilla or Fino.

BODY: golden brown color of considerable darkness; medium-full to full bodied.

TASTE: oaky; quite tawny; like a hypothetical mostly dry tawny port; hint of brine; alc. can be felt in the belly a bit (20% alc.); concentrated black tea; scorched marshmallow; somewhat bitter; too much oak and tastes too roasted; this is tasty, but pales in comparison to Palo Cortados that haven’t been desecrated with PX. I honestly don’t know how impartial I am able to be in scoring this wine, as I’m having a hard time ignoring my disdain for blending PX into a Palo Cortado.

B: 50, 5, 12, 14, 6 = (87 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

You are not disdaining PX in general, right? Just when it’s blended into a Palo Cortado? Cuz, if it’s the first, them’s fighting words.

I ---- Strong Word Alert ---- hate PX. [barf1.gif]

That aside, I think it’s absolute heresy to fcuk with a Palo Cortado in such a way.

Did I bring one to Palate? I’m trying to remember if you hated it there… Or if it only was the Saxum you detested. [smileyvault-ban.gif]

You brought a wonderful VP to Palate — '94 Graham’s, I think — I’d have to check my notes to be sure.

And the '05 Saxum James Berry was actually my second favorite wine of that blind tasting.

Hi, Brian.

You know, it’s quite strange, but the first time I tried I tried the Gonzalez-Byass - Jerez-Xérès-Sherry “Apóstoles” Palo Cortado Muy Viejo 30 Años, it was noticeably sweet; the next two times, virtually bone-dry. Never quite understood that.

Best,

N

That is quite strange, Noel. Which presentation did you prefer?