TN: Mr Stox with T-Bone's Crew -86 Cos d'Estournel, 01 Ridge MB, 93 Spottswoode

MR STOX WITH T-BONE’S CREW - Mr Stox, Anaheim, CA (6/10/2009)
T-Bone was in town and invited me to meet him with some of his reps at Mr Stox for some bottles and appetizers. While sitting at the bar waiting I heard it was half off Wednesday night at Mr Stox which has a very nice fairly deep wine list going back many years. Had to take advantage of some of the prizes that pricing offered. And we hit pay dirt. We cherry picked some nice wines for nice prices enjoying some bottles we rarely get to for reasonable coin. The 86 Cos, 93 Spottswoode and 01 Monte Bello were especially delightful taking me places where so few Cabs can these days. The 98 Barolo wasn’t so bad either.

I recommend visiting Mr Stox on Wednesdays and raiding the wine list. Some gems to be had.

Wines from the list were the 86 Cos, 01 MB, 98 Barolo and one of the proprietors shared the 93 Spottswoode with us from their cellar as well.

• 2003 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Monthélie 1er Cru Les Duresses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Monthélie 1er Cru
    Very smokey aromas and flavors. Very rich round palate with a touch of caramel and good acidity. I think this needs some time but the roundness of the fruit didn’t smack of Burgundy to me. Nice.
  • 2006 Chappellet Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon Pritchard Hill Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Big soft ripe nose of chocolaty oak. Bright fruit on a soft tart palate showing some heat. Stood out like a sore thumb drinking it next to the 86 Cos and 01 Ridge MB. What’s gone wrong in Napa?
  • 1986 Château Cos d’Estournel - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe
    This was great right from the pop of the cork. Nose of pencil shavings, cigars with some nice minerals over increasingly rich cedary fruit. Bright lively fruit with cedar wood and cigar ash qualities. Nicely acidic finish giving it great balance. Should have had this with a nice dinner but was a terrific wine anyway.
  • 2001 Ridge Monte Bello - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Decanted and took about an hour to come out of a somewhat heavy sullen state. But open it did showing tons of richness without fat ripe fruits. Sweet woody cedar and wet brick aromas. Tons of fruit here that is very rich today still showing some flesh but very well balanced. This is a ways from maturity but is full of potential. Great.
  • 1998 Azienda Bricco Rocche (Ceretto) Barolo Prapò - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Complex ever changing nose with terrific notes of wet soil and dusty mineral expression. Tons of rich fruit initially on the fleshy side. Starts to lean up with some air and become more classically Barolo like. Tannins a bit astringent but otherwise very nice wine but needs more time to develop some more secondary notes. No rush here.
  • 2005 Fiddlehead Cellars Pinot Noir Seven Twenty Eight Fiddlestix - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills
    Very bright light berry fruited. Well balanced against big fruits. Best in a couple years when the fruit can relax.
  • 1993 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena
    Sweet nose showing some nice herbs and dark chocolate among redwood. Very lively on the palate with bright acids and more redwood notes. Lots going on here. Classic Cali Cab. Excellent.

• 2006 Scarecrow Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Rutherford
    Strong oak and sweet ripe fruits. Soft and smooth but more about berry fruits than Cab flavors showing plenty of ripeness. A good example of a very modern styled Cali Cab but ultimately a bit innocuous. Especially considering the cheaper classic wines we had on the same night.

Posted from CellarTracker

God I love wet brick. Dry brick, not so much. [rofl.gif]

Love both the 93 Spotty and 01 Ridge btw.

Wet bricks destroy dry bricks…but I’m not sure I know what dry bricks smell like.

Where is T-Bone with his notes? [drinkers.gif]

…wrong forum bro! For T-bone notes you should look at NSFW or eventualy Asylum!