TN: Mouton dinner with Philippe Dhalluin and Bernard Burtschy

Jürgen

I actually meant that Haut-Brion 1989 is probably the best first growth wine of the vintage …

Do you agree ?

Thanks for posting your notes, Kevin. It was a great evening in every way. Bijan, did a fabulous job organizing the event. Philippe Dhalluin was so easy to talk with and very knowledgeable.

There were so many spectacular wines, hard to know where to start. The Champagnes were all very different but wonderful in their own way. Particularly pleased by the 2002 Dom Ruinart after a less than stellar bottle in late March. I liked both of the starter whites a lot - the Ygay was great. From my taste, I would add about 5 points to Kevin’s score on Fevre Chablis. I didn’t much notice the pyrazine but in general I don’t find GM in 2004 white Burgundies.

Surprising how good the 1952 and 1976 were - totally agree with Kevin’s take on these two. Actually pretty much agree with Kevin’s notes on all of the Moutons.

Both the 1982 and 1986 Moutons were off the charts great (in that 98-100 point range) and certainly one of the top two or three Bordeaux in those vintages. The 1988 and 1989 were a step down but still excellent.

The 1995 and 1996 were both spectacular. The 1995 was probably the best Bordeaux I have had from that year and the 1996 was among the best from that year. The 1999 was another surprise and once again one of the best I’ve had from that year.

Not enough experience with Bordeaux in the 2000s to say where Mouton ranks in the years we tasted but I can say that they hit home runs in 2000, 2005 and 2009.

In summary, the wines were opulent, exciting and distinctive. I think Mouton deserves it’s First Growth status

Laurent,

yes – I agree.

Excellent write up Kevin.

I have my share of Moutons. They are considered ‘crowd pleasers’ But I do like them. 1996 last year was excellent ( albeit over shadowed by Margaux).

Have you tasted the 1998 recently.

LLC is first in line to be a first growth. Although Montrose not far behind. Both have been very consistent over time. :slight_smile:

Macron said he will change a lot in France. Maybe even the 1855 classification? :slight_smile:

But Angela must agree first, Jürgen … :slight_smile:

I speak to her :slight_smile: