TN: Marchese Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva 2007

Marchese Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva 2007
Aromatics of ripe jammy raspberry, blackberry, creme de cassis, and plenty of cedar and tar to go along with it. Also a faint menthol note after a while in the glass. Not in doubt about the cabernet here which is plentiful in appearance on the nose. The palate is rich, radiant and vibrant with loads of dark fruits, but also the trademark sangiovese acidity which kicks in on the midpalate and carries through to the finish with a solid backbone. Quite balanced at this stage and nicely fleshed out. The tannns are finely grained and nicely integrated. Not at all overextracted, and just the right amount of concentration. Very well made. 92 points

IMHO this CCR overdelivers for its modest pricetag. It is drinking very nicely now and i think it is on its peak drinking window, where it will likely stay for 3-5 years. Despite the massive production of the Antinori family, i have seldomly been disappointed by their wines, at any level. I think this CCR is a great value, and a steady house-red for me to pair well with lots of different dishes, and also nice enought to finish up with a glass on its own after dinner (which i am doing right now while writing this note). Cost is a modest 22$ where i am.

I enjoy this one too and your note describes exactly my impression of the wine (not just in '07, but consistently…and consistency is one of the strengths of this wine). It’s also a good “crossover-wine”-- international enough to appeal to those who otherwise might not enjoy Italian wine but with enough spice and acidity to be enjoyable by Italian wine lovers AND to pair well with food. The combination of relatively low price, consistency and crowd-pleasing character makes it a great restaurant wine-list wine.

I think the pricing on this can creep up too high (I see it ranging from $22 to $35). At about $26 and under, it’s a very good wine…at $30+, I’d start looking at more interesting wines (Felsina Rancia, Selvapiana Bucerchiale, etc.).

John, I agree with your statement. I have had the 06,07, and 08 vintage and this showing of the 07 vintage is for my palate the best. But i do agree about the consistently good quality, which is something i find in most if not all of Antinori’s wines.