TN Leoville Barton 1996

Robert, did you taste some of your pet favorites in '15 and find them not to your liking? Asking because, like you, I love '14, but the tiny few '15s I’ve had have generally impressed me quite a lot.

It’s probably a personal preference, but I agree. As up until now I need and prefer more maturity with the 95s/96s that I have on stash. Other than the occasional Sociando Mallet, some Right Banks and satellite producers, I’m not inclined to open most of my 95s/96s.

Back to Leoville Barton, I’ll add that I’m one of few who even dabbled with and purchased some 98 Leoville Barton. Turned out to be a fun diversion of old school claret amidst all the glorious Right Banks in that vintage. Drinking well at present, too.

I also have a bunch of 2000 L Barton that I haven’t had since release and don’t plan on drinking any anytime soon. As a matter of fact, as far as L Barton is concerned, it was so price-friendly and more traditional than most then that I bought and stashed 01s/02s/03s/04s. Quite regret that I didn’t splurge for some 05s.

Has anyone opened a 2003 recently. I bought some on release and the recent CT notes are very good, but not from anyone I know.

Have not tasted 2003 Barton specifically, but have had three Saint Juliens last year which seemed to have followed a pattern, Ducru, Las Cases and Branaire. They start of beautifully, fresh and archetypally Saint Julien, and within a few devolve into a plummy mess. Weird. If you can drink fast, I suspect it will be gold. BTW ditto Pichon Baron and Lynch.

Thanks for the update on the 96, Mark - I agree it’s a great example which I prefer to the 90.

Quite agree with Pat about the 2002, quite an underrated wine.

My current favourite from that period is actually the 2004, a gloriously silky wine that I find a little atypical for LB - a touch of Margaux elegance but which does not detract from the pleasure.

My experiences with LB 03 have all been disappointing - so either I was unlucky five times, which is possible, or it really depends on individual taste.

Likewise, I am sure there are loads of advocates for recent vintages - perhaps they do taste better younger than those from the earlier decades, although I’d like to know which 09s and 10s (!), but is it not a little early to be handing out accolades? Personally I find the idea that the newest are somehow always “better” than the older vintages to be just Bordeaux marketing spiel, stuff which those with a vested interest are all too ready to support.

1 Like

Chateau Saint-Pierre is a stewed mess as well. Was best consumed on release, frankly.

Since the slope of the line defining our palate comparison is pretty much -1.0, that may mean that I will like it, but I guess it’s time to check one out.

I assume your chart depicts my palate on the ascendancy and your palate on the descent, right?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Amen all around, and I’ve added some emphasis for an equally important part here.

It’s a well flogged horse, but anyone who depends on VIP access and free samples of wine to run their wine “criticism” business should run for political office instead where such blatant conflicts of interest are part of the deal. There’s a reason Parker used* to make such a big deal about sourcing the bottles he reviewed with his own funds.

*even Parker was getting called out a lot towards the end for his over cozy relationships with wine makers.

2 Likes

This got me to pencil-into calendar to pull out a 2002 Leoville Barton for drinking early next year. Test drive at 20 years.

Have had a couple '02 LBs over the last two or so years. First one in early 2020 was fantastic, second one, in June, was less so but I think that may have been an off bottle. Would gladly buy more at pre-pandemic pricing – WS low in the US is $109…

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, I had the 2004 twice and it was great both times, I’m trying to get my hands on some more if price is good and I see no reason to wait on this vintage.

On the other hand, I tasted the 2006 in a salon 6 months ago and it was absolutely shut down, despite several hours of slow oxygenation. Wall of tannins, hope it resolves well.

I opened a bottle of this 3 months ago. With one hour in the decanter, it was singing. I am holding onto my remaining bottles to drink at a relaxed pace.

I agree with Robert. I have had some awfully good 96s (for example the Leoville las Cases is fabulous) and even 98s not made from Merlot (e.g., Haut Brion).

By contrast, I really don’t like 2009 as a vintage as too many wines seem to be made from pruny, overripe fruit. My experience with 2010s is mixed. Of post 1990s vintages, I would take 2000, 2005 and 2016 over 2009 and 2010 by a lot.

The worst is '03 Poyferre…borderline undrinkable when I tried this with Alfert a few years back

Popped another one of these last night with MarcF. A beauty, but could still use a few more years.

I had it last saturday (the previous bottle, in february 2021, was slightly weaker), next an excellent Opus One 2001 :

St-Julien Léoville-Barton 1996 : 17,5/20 - 22/1/2022
Sève aquitaine en apogée, svelte, savoureuse, très digeste.
Rappel :
St-Julien Léoville-Barton 1996 : 16,5/17 – 14/2/2021
Arômes évolués significatifs de rive gauche (viandés, bouquet garni), avec toutefois un peu trop se soja. La bouche confirme. Elle manque de force et est à boire sans attendre (du moins sur cette bouteille, intempestivement évoluée).

Sorry for the drift, but just a comment about another ‘96. I had a Cos d’Estournel a few months ago that was absolutely singing.

Well as usual, I disregard most of my own crappy advice, popped another last night.

This wine was on fire, totally loved it. If there is a wine for me to backfill, again, this is it.

Classic St. Julien, perfumed and spiced, dark rich cassis, a hint of lead pencil on the nose. Meaty, some leather and a sour dark cherry note, long finish.

An excellent wine.

1 Like

The one thing that characterized the Anthony Barton era was how well priced these Bartons were. Usually 20-25% less expensive than their peers. In fact, he was often the first to come out with low prices, always sold quickly, and never seemed particularly worried about not squeezing the last penny out of his customers.

1 Like