TN: Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle Dinner (1978, '82, '83, '85, '88, '90, '95, '97, '98, '99, 09)

82 LCh is indeed a fine wine, every single bottle (and Chave, too … and I also recall a simply great Jamet brune, and excellent Chapoutier Sizerannes …so the vintage seems to be not bad at all in the N.Rhone) …
… and btw the 85 LCh now seems to be fully mature, I like it very much (now that I´m down to one bottle) … it´s got something resembling a Paulliac … definitely something to refill, it is much cheaper than 89/90 …

The 1982 La Chapelle seemed to be a bit overlooked in its youth, but it’s been lovely for years, and ready to go when the cork is pulled. I would take the 1982 over the 1983 every time.

-Al

Good to read notes. I’ve a lone 1995 that I’m wondering about.

1995:
Good wine, but not great, still slightly tannic and on the acidic side and lacking a bit depth …
(1996 and 1997 are better imho)

Last I had the 1995 was 12+ years ago and that did set-up modest expectations with this 1995 bottle. Yeah, those 1996 and 1997 were quite good when I had in an off-line just 2 years ago.

Just had a '96 a week ago and it was okay. First bottle from this producer and the storage was a question mark. I noted that it lacked “omph”.

Great notes, written in such a way as to get the true sense you had with each wine. I still have 1-2 bottles of those mid to late 90s that “dip in quality” from those before and hoping there may be a decent bottles n at least one of them. Although not in this lineup, the 89 remains one of my favs and has been tasted along with the 90 many times with consistently fine showings.

Thanks for the fascinating replies all.

Looks like I really need to fill my 1989 gap… if anyone with a bottle is ever flying through Singapore, you’ve got a ready host!