TN: J. J. Prüm, Truchot, Egon Müller

I hope for them every time a German winery tries to make a trocken. #godblessfeinherb

Joking aside, I’ve been told that GGs in large format will be offered by a famous estate at this year’s Grosser Ring auction in Trier, but not Egon Müller.

On my visit to the Scharzhof in April, I was also told that they had one cask earmarked for GG, but the wine was still fermenting and not yet legally dry. (It had about 95 degrees Oechsle.) And even then Egon Müller was not certain if they will designate it as a GG or even release it for sale. He has always argued that the Scharzhofberger wines need residual sugar for balance. But, actually, the fame of the Scharzhofberger was for both dry and off-dry wines in the 19th century, even if climate change has made it easier to achieve ripe grapes.

I know that Egon Müller produced a 1988 Scharzhofberger Spätlese trocken and a 1998 Scharzhofberger Kabinett trocken, but the estate has always focused on residually sweet wines. In past vintages, his Kabinetts tend to have slightly higher alcohol because of the relatively lower residual sugar. There was a brief period when the Kabinetts were quite sweet. As for botrytis, a small percentage adds complexity, if it’s handled and vinified properly. But most winemakers avoid botrytized grapes for Kabinett.

I think offering GG at auction is a mistake. If for no reason other than the auction already taking far too long!

I’m surprised smaller members would be in favour of it since it seems even less likely their wines would be included if the best ones offered even more wines.

Let’s see.

Well, it seems quite a lot of GG magnums will be auctioned. :frowning:

Schloss Lieser will auction their new Graacher Domprobst GG and DOCTOR GG on Magnum this September if I am not mistaking…

Yes. Read the following posts. Grunhaus and others too.

Is the auction list already made available?

Is this the only way the doctor GG will be offered or will it still be offered alone or through the mixed case via regular channels?
Thanks
Alex

Yes, I was referring to Maximin Grünhaus in my previous post (#42), but I wasn’t sure if it should be made public.

To my knowledge:

The DOCTOR GG will be sold in a Terroir Kiste only.
The Terroir case:
“The limited wooden terroir case (500 for the entire world!) combines six Grosse Gewächse of the best terroir the Mosel valley has to offer. Only in this case you will get exclusively the current Doctor GG together with Wehlener Sonnenuhr GG, Himmelreich GG, Niederberg Helden GG, Juffer Sonnenuhr GG und Goldtröpfchen GG of the vintage 2018. All 6 wines are personally signed from the winemaker and owner Thomas Haag.”

The DOCTOR GG on Magnum will only be sold at the Auction.

There was no news embargo I believe regarding the GG’s on the auction. If so, mea culpa…

Thanks David.
A

I’m sure it’s okay, but I have to be careful about such matters.

That 97 J J Prum sounds like a charm.

I think the '01 Donnhoff Felsenberg Spatlese (that went to auction) resulted from a stuck fermentation when the intent was to make trocken. Thank heavens for that.

Yup