TN: Gattinara 2017 - Nervi-Conterno

I had the 2018 after it had been open for 3 full days. It was brilliant:

• 2018 Nervi-Conterno Gattinara - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Gattinara
    [Opened Wednesday. Consumed Saturday.] Amazing what Roberto Conterno can do. This held its own in the middle of this tasting. Even with the sharp price increase, I would say it is still an excellent value. Beautiful nose of red fruit and pine trees. A delicious young Nebbiolo. (93 points)

This was in the middle of a 1999 Barolo dinner with many of the top wines from that great vintage:
http://www.finewinegeek.com/tn/2022-04-02_Barolo1999_Ben/

Maybe I made the mistake of not opening it 3 days ago. Nothing last night hinted at the need for that, even after a few hours in the decanter, but I have had young Nebbiolo change dramatically with air after a couple days before, so maybe it is in that camp.

1 Like

Saratoga has magnums of 2018 for $185.

But you have to buy a case and you can’t count on eventually getting it. If a wine is not in stock there, I’m not sure you can count on getting it. Morrell has it for $185 as well.

Previous vintages are much cheaper. 2017 mags for $110. 2016 for $130. 2015 for $130.

I think the spike for 2018 is due to Conterno handling everything from start to finish for the first time. If that’s not important to you, then maybe the 17/16/15 is a better deal.

Has he installed the same corking machine at Nervi that tests every cork individually for TCA before applying the closure? Its amazing, and Robert spent ages talking to us about it and its development it when we visited Conterno…

Zachy’s is saying the list price on the basic 2019 is $120 for the 750ml. Is that right? Or is this just one of those price games that Zachy’s plays when they have a “sale.”

Available for $85 elsewhere, not a sale price. So yeah, pricing games.

The nerve of them

1 Like

I remember Tegan P remarking how we’d be looking back and laughing about how we were able to buy those (15-17 vintages) for only $50.

I guess that time is underway.

1 Like