TN: Franny Beck Rosé of Pinot Noir 2017 Willamette Valley

I picked up four of these on Berserker Day because we have really enjoyed the other wines from Michael and team, and because it’s rosé! This week we cracked the first bottle. Today is day three of it being opened. The fact that it survived days one and two tells you something about our experience with this wine. Mainly, the jury is still out…

The wine is simultaneously fascinating and jarring. Definitely not your typical rosé aromatics, it presents you with a smoky strawberry watermelon nose, with a backdrop of what I can only describe as funk. But hey, it’s made from pinot noir so funk shouldn’t be a surprise. The palate has a sturdy backbone of refreshing acidity and plenty of fruit to go with it, and the flavors even last for half a minute or so. The overall impression I have, though, is of a wine that hasn’t quite finished. I could easily believe I am tasting a barrel sample, rather than a finished wine.

Now, while we drink our share of rosé wines every year, and more and more of them are becoming rosé from pinot noir, I must admit that this may in fact be our first bottle of Oregon rosé. So I may simply be applying my experience from other regions of the world improperly on this bottle. Whether that’s the case or not, my resolution here is to let the remaining three bottles hibernate for one full year and see if they realize the full potential that I’m sensing in this very young wine.

Hey Craig, just now saw this. Love the note, seriously. Kind of encapsulates my own experience with this wine so far. It’s unlike any other rosé that I’ve had. And you’re not alone; I’ve been emailing and texting with some other early Franny Beck supporters when they’ve popped corks on the rosé. Was texting with someone last night about it and he asked if I suggest decanting the wine- my answer, certainly. A little air never hurt anyone.

One of our restaurant partners, Ksandek Podbielski, at Coquine in Portland called that aroma profile you’re noting white truffle. I think he nailed it (the rosé is on their list for anyone interested).

If think this is a pretty serious wine, to say the least. I had a bottle open for three days and think it was best on the third day. I am with you, though, I think it’s best days are ahead of it. I also suggest pouring it at cellar temp rather than chilling it.

This is going to be a fun little ride watching this rosé evolve. I’m pretty happy with where it’s going so far.