Tried these four w/ Susan over the weekend:
- Prima Chard SonomaCoast/SonomaCnty (13.5%; 71% SangiacomoVnyd/29% DurellVnyd; 100 cs) JeffGaffner/EtreWines/SantaRoas 2016: Med.light gold color; strong lemony/Chard/melony/bit spicy light pencilly/oak quite attractive 4-Square Chard nose; fairly tart/tangy strong lemony/Chard/lime/lightly spicy/nutmeg light pencilly/oak flavor; very long spicy/lemony/Chard/lime/bit honeydew melon finish; a bright/zippy/lemony/brisk quite attractive Chard. $24.00 (PrimaIlC)
- Weingut Max Ferd.Richter Riesling WehlenerSonnenuhr (Kabinett; QmP 2593049 2417; 8.0%; ShiverickImports) Mulheim/Mosel 2016: Light gold color w/ very tiny bubbles swirling/dissolved CO2; rather lean/slatey/mineral/flinty light mango/pineapple/R lovely classic Mosel somewhat low-key nose; some spritzy quite tart/tangy some mango/pineapple/R bit Mosel/mineral/stony slightly sweet (1.5%-2.0% r.s.?) quite pleasant flavor; long some pineapple/mango/R light slatey/mineral fairly tart bit sweet finish; an all-together quiet pleasant Mosel R but doesn’t have much depth and doubtful future; a rather pretty Mosel but just that; very attractive price at $16.00 (AV)
- Morgan Cotes dy Crow’s Monterey (14.5%; 52% Syrah/44% Grenache/4% Tempranillo; www.MorganWinery.com) Salinas 2016: Very dark color; strong blackberry/blueberry/Syrah slight strawberry/Grenache some herbal/thyme/rosemary/spicy quite attractive nose; lightly tart rather grapey/lush strong blackberry/Syrah/blueberry bit strawberry/Grenache some herbal/thyme/rosemary flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long strong grapey/blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah light strawberry/Grenache rather herbal/thyme/pungent finish w/ light ripe tannins; an altogether pleasant Rhone blend that speaks strongly of Monterey; nothing profound but shows terroir and just good drinking at a fair price. $16.00 (PrimaIlC)
- Siduri PinotNoir Eddie’sLot/PisoniVnyd/SantaLuciaHighlands (15.1%) 2008: Dark color w/ some browning; lovely fragrant PN/black cherry/black cherry cola light earthy/loamy stron pencilly/Siduri oak/toasty rather complex nose; fairly tart/tangy/angular slight alcoholic rather rich/lush very strong black cherry cola/licorice/Pinot rather herbal/pungent/thyme very strong Siduri oak/toasty.pencilly fairly complex flavor w/ light drying tannins; very long slight alcoholic/hot strong black cherry cola/Pinot very strong pencilly/Siduri oak fairly complex finish w/ modest drying tannins; speaks strongly of SLH PN and Siduri oak; starting to dry out a bit on the palate and heading into the decline pathway.
A wee BloodyPulpit:
- Prima only occasionally makes a wine under their own label and it’s been quite a few yrs since their last Chard.