TN: Five DRC Grands Echezeaux.

FIVE DRC GRANDS ECHEZEAUX. - Bellecour. Wayzata, MN (12/6/2017)

Another great dinner at Bellecour, with a mini-vertical of DRC GE as the centerpiece. We were a group of four, and spent four leisurely hours enjoying these wines.

• NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 164eme - France, Champagne
    For all of us, this was the first crack at Krug’s recent 164eme NV edition. It was terrific, and I suspect this will age effortlessly.

• 2002 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    Decanted for over three hours, and as usual that was likely not enough. A touch of oxidation, that didn’t overwhelm the wine but kept it from showing better than “good”.
  • 2004 François Raveneau Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru
    The utter purity of this bottle was incredible. It went from great to greater over the four hour dinner. Brilliant.

• 1988 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru
    My second bottle of this in the past year, and again it was absolutely gorgeous. Soft, precious, but not at all over the hill. In the US we would say it’s in its seventh inning. If you or your friends own this, open a bottle. Very special.
  • 1991 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru
    This is literally everything you want in a bottle of burgundy. From the first scent, to the last sip, this was simply a perfect bottle. Drunk leisurely over four hours, it was the clear WOTN from beginning to end.
  • 1999 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru
    As expected this was deep, rich, and full of promise. It drank extremely well, and didn’t show too young. Thus, you can happily open this now. But with other vintages drinking so well, I’ll opt to cellar these for a bit longer.
  • 2000 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru
    Alluring bright berries. More “fun” than spellbinding, and very much fit the 2000 vintage expectations. Needed more air than anticipated (decanted for three hours).
  • 2002 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Grands-Echezeaux Grand Cru
    The 2002 taunted us a bit, as its fruit profile shifted every twenty minutes. Started out tight, went a bit wild, and then settled into a deep rich dark fruit place. It was lovely and very good. The 2002 still needs time (says this lover of 02’s), as this was decanted for four hours and could have used more. Certainly in its drinking window, but there is no hurry.

Posted from CellarTracker

Like!

Double like!

some real interesting years and wines. 04 Raveneau is singing now. And haven’t seen a less than stellar note on 164.

04 raveneau in the zoneeeee

Nice to have the 88 next to the 91, especially at your now famous neighborhood joint! Food good?

Carl. Cassoulet is on the menu for the winter. Couldn’t resist, and it was excellent.

I had some 164 yesterday that I wasn’t overly thrilled on…but having more this week so I’ll do a bit of a comparison.

Had the 91 GE a decade ago and it was delicious then. Good to hear that it is still firing.

Great night! 2004 Raveneau Clos at Tallivent is one of my white wines of the year.

Thanks for the notes Brad. What a nice lineup!!

Great notes ! DRC Grand Echezeaux is a magnificent wine .
Brad , we recently had a Raveneau 02 Butteaux that was initially a bit closed and then opened up greatly. We were afraid of premox but it was not so , this wine was still young .