TN: EdStJ Syrah Bassetti '03...(short/boring)

Cracked this last night as I set down to my pasta:

1. EdmundsStJohn BassettiVnyd/SLOCnty (13.3%; www.EdmundsStJohn.com) Intuition&BlindLuck/Berkeley 2003: Med.dark color w/ slight bricking; slight stinky/reductive clears to very peppery/cold-climate very spicy/blackberry/Syrah bit Rhonish/roasted/gamey/earthy quite aromatic complex beautiful nose; rather tart/tangy/bit metallic rather peppery/c-c some blackberry/spicy/Syrah/blueberry light Rhonish/pungent/earthy/meaty rather complex flavor w/ modest angular/sharp tannins; very long rather tart/tangy some peppery/blackberry/Syrah/quite spicy bit Rhonish/earthy/pungent/dusty/gamey very slight bretty/horsecollar complex finish w/ some wirey/angular/rough tannins; rather classic Bassetti/peppery/c-c rather tart/angular Syrah that could use more age; reminds some of a Texier C-R but not as aromatic; this is how they would make Cornas in Berkeley if they could.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. This is a good example of the complexity that EdStJ Syrahs can age into…something that is lost to many of the leading critics. It still has a bit of rustic/coarse character that reminds me some of Clape Cornas.
    Tom

sounds like a wine i would love and will look for. thanks for the great report, as usual.

Had the pleasure of a mag of the 1990 ESJ Syrah on Saturday. Beautiful wine.