TN: Dinner at Jungsik

Had a fun time with some fellow board members @Dan_A @Dinesh_Goyal @Dan_Bast_an @L_Wang. We were lucky that everything showed so beautifully and accompanied the menu perfectly.

JUNGSIK - (1/14/2023)

Champagne

White Burg

• 2012 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Beaune, Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru
    Decanted for an hour. Initially reductive which did start to blow off in the first hour. By the end of the night this was absolutely creamy and unctuous while maintaining great tension and balance. Nose was soaring from the glass with white fruit and minerality. Felt on par with many a Monty, but with a steely verve. Best after 4-5 hours. WOTN for me. (97 points)

Riesling

Reds

• 2016 Domaine Bertheau (Pierre et François) Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    Opened an hour before dinner and then decanted for a couple of hours until poured. So Chambolle. Lovely perfume with a nice depth and weight. (94 points)
  • 2011 Domaine Anne Gros Richebourg - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Richebourg Grand Cru
    Decanted a couple of hours before pouring. Deep purple color with dark fruit on the floral nose and some stem, grassy notes on the nose. Benefited from even more air in the glass to open and integrate. Palate was full of black fruit and some minerality with just a touch of a clipped finish. (93 points)

'05

• 2005 Domaine Trapet (Jean et Jean-Louis) Latricières-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, CĂ´te de Nuits, Latricières-Chambertin Grand Cru
    Decanted a couple of hours before pouring. Wide open nose with black fruit, violets and a meatiness. Palate is less open, but still drinking nicely with black and purple fruits, a touch of iron. The finish is the indicator of the vintage with firm tannins. This is just starting to reach a nice drinking window, much more open than just a couple of years ago, but will need another 8+ years to reach the initial peak plateau. (94 points)

Dessert

• 1989 Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux Le Mont - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray
    Opened 4 hours before pouring. Amazing honey and butterscotch on the nose. Very precise palate that is balanced and not overly sweet. Changes quickly over time like a chameleon. Some interesting herbal and spice notes add complexity. (94 points)
8 Likes

Nice Andrew. I love that place. They had a pretty firm corkage deal with only a few bottles but looks to be loosened. Some very nice wines.

1 Like

Thanks for notes Andrew, It was a fun night with some great wines.

Yeah, they are at 2 bottles max. We paid a flat somm fee for them to open all 8. It was a fairly steep fee, but worth it IMO. Great service and nice stems made the evening.

1 Like

I really like Jungsik, they do a great job there. It is one of the places where I think you get what you pay for with the Somm fee. That space use to house a restaurant called Montrachet that was pretty fine too. Glad to hear the wines showed well.

1 Like

Actually old Chanterelle space. I agree on the excellence of the food,and service

1 Like

Jay,

Yes, thanks for the correction. Montrachet was another great spot and only a few of blocks away.

Grassy = green?

In a subtle way. Not overly pronounced or bothersome. Similar to the '04 DRC RSV I had last year. A well made wine in a tough vintage.

But I was surprised to see the earlier CT reviews so high with no mention of green. Wonder if it was masked by the bigger fruit and now it’s starting to come out as the fruit integrates.

May depend how sensitive you are to it. I loathe vegetal notes, so never drink 04 or 11 (or most reds from the Loire).

Looks like a great lineup. Bummer I couldn’t join you guys.