TN: Denver Wine Group Round 3

DENVER WINE GROUP ROUND 3 - Max's House (10/22/2022)

Attendees:
-Max and Jenna
- @D_Zurcher and Lisa
- @Jdbramm and Mandy
-Gael and Juliann
- @Philip_G and Christine
-Fernando

Starting Bubbles

White Wine

• 2017 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard's Cuvee Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Enjoyable. More buttery than I like as Goodfellow's chardonnay tends to be, but I generally don't like anything more oaky than Chablis so that's not saying much. No formal notes. Courtesy of Chip.
  • 2013 Radio-Coteau Chardonnay Wingtine Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Good structure. Strong guava note that Chip placed as lychee. Gael placed more guava as well, but regardless tropical. Courtesy of Fernando. (91 points)
  • 2017 Vincent Chardonnay Tardive - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Immediately on opening I was concerned because the mid-palate seemed watery. After 5-10 minutes it smoothed out and was enjoyable. Nice lemony flavor. Definitey on the lighter side. A couple of people described it as a watery wine, though they noted not in a bad way. I disagree with that assessment, but it was definitely on the lighter end. Courtesy of Dan Z

Drink now, may have a year or two but no reason to risk it. (90 points)
  • 2018 Walter Scott Chardonnay Freedom Hill Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    That matchstick though. No formal notes. Good wine, but not really my style. Courtesy of Jonathan.
  • 2014 Neyers Chardonnay Carneros - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros
    To quote Fernando before he dumped it, "This is not a good wine."

Red Wine

Dessert Wine

• 2001 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    Incredible wine. Surprised by the color, a bit of a darker golden hue reminded me of '82 Suduiraut. Good acidity and structure. Courtesy of Dan Z. (95 points)
  • 2001 Château Climens - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Barsac
    Based on other notes, I wonder if there's bottle variation. Fresh and feeling young, with a light golden color. Not anywhere near peak, seems liked it needs another 10 years or so. Could gain 1-3 points in time. Courtesy of Dan Z.

Note, rated 1 point less than the '01 Rieussec, but in the long run will be a better wine. (94 points)
  • 1998 Château d'Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    WOTN among all wines. The aromatics are next-level. The body is full and soft on the palate. Good acidity but not great. On the palate, may not be better than the 01 Rieussec or Climens, but the aromatics push it over the edge. Courtesy of Dan Z. (96 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Thanks so much for posting these Max. We had a great time at your place. I spent so much time talking with folks that I didn’t get to many of the wines that were there. I did prefer the 2008 to the 2004 Balcombe-I May have been the only one :grin:.

See you again soon.

Im not sure how much I trust my notes - I meant to spit for the first go round, but that never works out haha

I guess I should have replied to the email…. We don’t have much OR Pinot noir
From the TN and the photos I’ve seen, it sure looks like a great night

We had neighbors over and one of them brought this 3L

Looks like an outstanding evening, I’m sorry I couldn’t attend.

Hang in there Rick, we’ll see you soon.

No worries Mel, there will be more opportunities…I think January was mentioned and Bordeaux may have been of interest-

Awesome notes. Let’s get another one planned. My wife and I are. Loaded with OR and CA to share!

Great notes Max!

My impressions were pretty much in line with yours but as we discussed, due to difference in palates and personal preference I put the '14 Goodfellow slightly above '04 PG, followed by the '13 Goodfellow.

Lychee was the first thing that popped into my head on the R-C but maybe guava was more accurate, should have revisited it later but there were a LOT of wines!

Here’s the money shot:

To next time, cheers!

@Mel_Hill We missed you for this one!

@Rick_Bollig We were sorry you couldn’t attend too, but look forward to future tastings

@D_Zurcher Can’t wait for the next round, it’s been a blast so far!

@Michael_Kane Adding you to the list - I think we’re going Bordeaux next

@Philip_G Heck of a night! I’m referring to it as the Great Guava-Lychee Debate of 2022. I liked guava more than lychee, but it wasn’t spot on. I wonder if there were other things in there I wasn’t picking up on that were affecting my impression.

Also, shout out to @Jim_Anderson @Marcus_Goodfellow and @Vincent_Fritzsche for showing us a good time!

1 Like

Looked awesome. Bummed to have missed. Definitely hoping that I don’t have work travel around the next one.

And turpentine vs pine?

I forgot about that one, but I still maintain that pine has a more positive connotation!

Thanks for the notes and especially for hosting @Max_S1! We had a great time. Also thanks to everyone for sharing such tasty wines. @D_Zurcher, you’re a bad influence bc now I have to seek out more d’Yquem to try :sweat_smile:
Can’t wait to do it again.