TN: Dauvissant, Beringer White Zin, Meiomi, Bond Pluribus

This is what can happen when a random group of people show up for a party to have a good time with friends. Which we all did.

Serendipity :slight_smile:
IMG_20171119_152345.jpg

• 2010 Vincent Dauvissat (RenĂ© & Vincent) Chablis 1er Cru La Forest - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (11/20/2017)
    Okay, this a classic label. But back to the wine; Yellow fruit aromas abound. Flavors of ripe yellow pear and citrus. Just a hint of salinity mid palate but it’s short-lived before the medium finish of pith and pear take over the show. Decent.
  • 2012 Bond Pluribus - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/20/2017)
    Humm… What’s this… A Bond co-mingling around with the others on the table. Don’t mind if I do. Medium plus depth of color, not overtly saturated. Classy Napa nose. Palate had a hint of dried unsweetened cocoa powder and black and red currants. Broad shouldered structure with very angular tannins, about an hour of airtime and this was still in a clinch. Pleasant but not worth opening at this stage for the tariff. Hold for 5 more years before it enters prime time.
  • 2015 Meiomi Pinot Noir - USA, California (11/20/2017)
    Sweet and creamy. I’ll just leave it at that.
  • NV Beringer Vineyards White Zinfandel California - USA, California (11/20/2017)
    I’ll try anything once in the name of science. In fact, I made Gerry taste it along with me. His comment was classic. “not as bad as I was expecting” which I suppose I agree with as it’s not revolting but definitely pushing the off dry envelope. Candy strawberry soda pop quality. Like it or not, it’s part of the American wine history.

Posted from CellarTracker

Meiomi next to Dauvissat, hahaha!!
That’s a group of friends covering almost a full spectrum of wine palate!

This is a strange picture indeed.

Thanks for the write up.

My first trip to Napa was in 1989 and one of our stops was Beringer (along with Charles Krug and 1 other I don’t recall) Not sure if it has changed but the Beringer tour was fantastic. It was the day before Greg Lemond would go on to win The Tour in the most dramatic fashion. It happened while we were driving home but I had the trusty VCR going. Anyway, I bought 2 bottles. 1 was the 1986 Cab that I believe was the WS wine of the year. The other … White Zin. IIRC the Cab was around $30.

Jason

I never dis white Zin or it’s fans. White Zin was the salvation for many great historic vineyards.

The redeeming quality of White Zinfandel is it played a significant role in preventing many old vine Zin vineyards from being ripped out and replanted.

Well said Mike and Russ. Zin was one of my first loves. I can’t tell you how many times I would grab a bottle of Zin to share with non wine geek friends and they say, “wait, its red?”.

Jason

Wait a minute, there appears to be more wines on the table, I see a Taylor Port and a couple of others, so why the selective photo?
Is this a vinous game of Clue revolving around incongruous contributions?
Was there some kind of incriminating evidence, regarding the disappearance of the white Zin contributor? Was there ethylene glycol in the Meomi?

The wine remaining in each bottle is as one would expect. It would have been fun to watch people’s expressions had these all been served blind.

This gives me some devious ideas for our next wine group tasting. Ideas that involve brown bags and cameras.

Cheers
Warren

The Meiomi seemed sorta lonely, and in these polarizing times, I thought the if I dropped the Dauvissat next door it might class up the neighborhood? (actually, my wife and I were running late, and Robert’s speech was happening as we arrived, so haste and randomness prevailed).

Funny, I noticed the poor Meiomi later and kinda felt sorry for it, but I still didn’t taste it. I had to save space for the vintage Dom (thanks FMIII).