TN: Coq au Vin Jaune

I had to reload this 3 times to get it to translate all the way to the end, but you might enjoy this travelogue:

You NYC guys have all the fun. Would have loved to have been seated at this dinner.

Glenn, there’s always a seat for you at my place!

Hello and thanks for all your kind comments and support on my KS project. I certainly will do my best on the book, when I finally get some time to myself again to continue writing it!

This dinner sounds truly amazing - people imagine I do this a lot, but it’s not actually the case, though I know all the producers of course… In fact I visited the wonderful old Camille Loye (aged 93) and his wife Paulette for the first time the other day - they still have reds to taste and sell, very much alive from the late 1980s - amazing experience which I may blog about soon in advance of the book.

Firstly, on what wine to use for Coq au Vin Jaune or similar: I’ve asked this question of several chefs, professional and amateur, in the region and they all say that you can use almost any decent white wine in the main part of the cooking, though oxidative is best, but the real key is to finish the dish off with a glass of Vin Jaune.

Regarding really old Bourdy bottles, there was an amazing vertical tasting of these wines held a few years ago with the Paris collector François Audouze together with some top French sommeliers including Olivier Poussin (a World Best Sommelier winner), Christophe Menozzi (a top Jura sommelier) and others. I know that Poussin reported on it, and Audouze certainly did in great detail, but both will be in French. If you Google them you might find it. I tasted some old wines from the first part of the C20 last year and wasn’t entirely convinced by all of them - a little hit and miss, but I did have the chance to share a Bourdy white (Chardonnay) 1945 with Christophe Menozzi and that was simply amazing - alive, fresh, deep and beautiful.

Next time, perhaps you could invite me to dinner too please, Ross, Zach and David? :wink:

Wink - glad to see you posting here. We need more Jura lovers!

Wink, next time you’re planning a New York visit, drop us a line! Oh, and bring some vin jaune while you’re at it.

See you in June, maybe, Zachary - over for a few days, watch this space! And yes, I should definitely pack some Vin Jaune!

Hi Wink, thanks for posting! Hopefully we’ll see you in New York soon, for some more Vin Jaune!