TN Chateau Magdelaine 2008

You don’t make Alfert call you King Arthur in person? Or just King for short?

[cheers.gif]

I bid on it, but to be clear, I have no issues with others out-bidding me. That’s an auction.

I was coming for it

Roberts ego would never stoop to such levels!..I think it’s the other way around sir!:smiley:

It went over my max bid today. Not chasing. At even a $120 bid now, that would be net $155 or so for me with delivery. On a bottle of somewhat questionable provenance. Nope. Oh well.

Any thoughts on the '88?

The '76 Magdelaine would have to be a unicorn at its current bid,

Not planning to bid, as I have enough Magdelaine.

Nice looking fill and color given the age. And that damp affected label is kind of sexy.

$120 is a steal, don’t give up now Jayson!!! Even @ $155! :smiley:

I received some ‘11s earlier this week and popped one open tonight. Was a faint whiff of TCA when I opened the bottle and it’s just slightly mute, also compared to the ‘08 that came out of the bottle singing and dancing. There’s fruit but it just doesn’t shine.
Hopefully the next one will be better!

I need to commit to more young Magdelaine. Both 2011 and 2007 are very gulpable, delicious wines.

Anyone here snag the '76?

What did it go for?

No clue…last I looked a few hours prior to the close, it was $120

Yes it is absolutely ready showing a lot of tertiary development. Good bottles are delightful. Unlike other vintages from around the same period this probably needs drinking over the next few years.

Whoever buying those Magdelaine in the UK markets has been relentless recently…

Possibly me. I bought around seven mixed cases and just snagged a double magnum of the 1998.

But the good news is I am done. Apart from trying to locate a few bottles of one particular vintage.

2 Likes

Mark,
Wondering what the Golodetz definition of lifetime supply is? (and the factors you use to calculate)

With Magdelaine outed, wondering your thoughts on the other neglected Moueix property of Latour a Pomerol?

The honest answer is there is no number that is enough. I thought I was done, but then along comes another e mail, and I am putty in the man’s hands. “A case of 1998, sure. Do you have any 1996? No, have a few bottles. What about some pristine 2001? Two six packs; they are really gorgeous. ”

As I said, putty.

On paper at current consumption, I have enough for another 43 years, when I will not only be in but well past my dotage.

1 Like