TN: CellarTracker 5-year anniversary (Donnhoff and Cos)

Posting some old notes.

• 2003 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Brücke Riesling Auslese - Germany, Nahe (4/25/2009)
    CellarTracker Five Year Anniversary (Seattle, WA, USA): From 375ml. Mmm, this is like green apples dipped in a bit of honey. The first impression is one of richness, but, despite the 2003 heritage, this has plenty of acidity. The more time i spend with it the more refreshing it seems. I expected this might be somewhat flaccid, but this is really quite stellar. There is very good minerality beneath the fruit, but this is basically unformed right now, just a huge block of delicious potential. Hints of honey, fruit, tart apple and some petrol. Delicious to suck down now. Probably decades from really strutting. I had 6 half bottles, so I have no regrets about baby killing one now to check in. (93 pts.)
  • 2003 Château Cos d’Estournel - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (4/25/2009)
    CellarTracker Five Year Anniversary (Seattle, WA, USA): From 375ml. Decanted about 4 hours before service. Mmm, what an intoxicating nose of blackberry, tobacco and white flowers. Quite bright and piercing but with earthy, smoky notes as well. My goal in drinking this was to commemorate CellarTracker’s 5th anniversary of public release (commemorated by wood), so I wanted a wine that would show some oak and lots of depth. Boom, nailed it. This has plenty of both. Definitely young. Definitely loaded with potential and packed to the gills with complexity. Where Cos tens to have a leafy, green edge this was more black and ripe. As a baby killing this was fantastically delicious and way, way young. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Eric – Congratulations on your CellarTracker anniversary. Great note on the Cos. I haven’t had the '03 since release, but as you can see from my (terse) note below I loved it. Too bad I never bought any…

Congratulations Eric. I hadn’t realized CT was so youg. By the time I heard of it in 05, it seemed like it was already so well established.

My oldest tasting note – written 7/31/04. Does that make me an early adopter?

• 1999 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (7/31/2004)
    Decanted two hours. Dark rusty red color. Classic Chateauneuf nose. Cherry and kirsch flavor with a nice mouthfeel and a lingering finish. Really nice. (90 pts.)

Congratulations Eirc! As someone who jumped on in the beginning I can attest to CT just getting better and better each year! It’s an awesome program that’s added even more fun to my hobby/addiction.

Gotta love those half bottles huh? I can’t wait to try one of my ’03 Cos…but I must be strong…

Hey Dave, I’m #713, you?

Thanks guys. Time really flies.

I just added a 1975 vintage avatar (picture of me on my way to my first day in 1st grade at a tie and jacket prep school (Fessenden). Talk about innocent!

I just saw the CT icon on TN threads posted directly from CT. Cool!!

(Can I say, I love CT here? :smiley: )

Ramon, yes you can!

#359 – It’s been great since day 1.

Congrats Eric!