TN: Case of the Clape

I’m so yawn on the 93. I prefer other numerical combinations and cases of Clape.

I’m not totally convinced the backbone’s there for aging on the 2009, but I agree that fruit helps with the Clape style. Overall the wines were a lot less dirty and funky than I expected. For some reason I thought there’d be more dogs.

Please note I did praise the tasting notes.

I only had the top clape once - a 2015 and while it was better than average it most certainly to me wasn’t worth the money of other better than average 2015 and 2016 northern Rhône’s I’ve had. The other two things that makes me uninterested is it’s both filtered and fined and cellartracker reviews to me do not show a $100 bottle of wine. Just my $.02.

Respectfully, that’s a pretty dismissive comment on a stalwart Northern Rhone when you have only had it once. And that was a baby in a pretty ripe vintage. I’m not encouraging you to go out and buy more - I’ve stopped paying the fare as well, but really more about me being 53 and these wines needing a long time - but if you get a chance, mature Clapes can be pretty darn fantastic. And their basic bottlings, like Vin de Amis, are incredible values.

I would never base my buying decisions on CT. They are aggregated scores by the masses of users regardless of stylistic preferences, experience, etc. Unique wines generally don’t show well on CT. Now throw a Harlan on CT, and everyone goes ga-ga, yet I don’t like it at all. Gracefully, I don’t post scores on CT.

IIRC, Parker’s original comment was:
“Do you want a case of La Clape? You should.”

AFAIK the only joke he’s ever made, and I’ve spent some time with him and like him.

Dan Kravitz

Huh? 53 is puppyish for man in good health which I assume you are, just stay away from the shores of your local waterways.
Hell, I would take 53 any day of the rest of my life so I can see my 2005 Bord, Burgs and Rhones truly mature.

If Parker made the joke about the wine region in 1999, I’m pretty sure I beat him to it in referring to the Cornas back in the late 80s. And I was surely not the first. My guess is that human memory is not older than this joke.

I noticed the elegant reference from the board darling Adrian

Perhaps that 2013 just needs to be paired with some Zithromax