TN: Burgs - Leflaive, Carillon, Fourrier, DRC etc

Dinner at home:
1990 Domaine Leflaive Bienvenues Batard Montrachet Grand Cru
Straw gold throughout with a moderate plus nose that is rich and ripe, full of honeysuckle, raw honey, apple blossoms, white nectarines, lemon curd and toast. Full body, more Batard then Beinvenues on the palate, with time finishes with toasted marshmallow flavors. This bottle at least is beginning to show its age. 90pts.

2001 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Clos St. Jacques 1er Cru
Pure ruby color with a light garnet rim forming. Medium nose, pretty and understated with vibrant red berry fruit, black cherry, violets, leather and iron. Moderate body, moderate plus acidity, moderate minus tannin and a long finish. Approachable and drinking very well with just a little air. 91pts.

1991 Domaine Leroy Clos Vougeot Grand Cru
Deep almost purple color, brooding and backwards nose of dark berries, purple flowers, tea leaf and earth. Moderate plus body, acidity and tannin with filling, dense structure and a long finish. Blind most would probably guess a wine from the early 2000’s. Shocked how youthful and wound this wine was, impressive but in need of time. 93pts.

At Goose and Gander
2004 Domaine Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet Les Perrieres 1er Cru
Not much to add to this one as we have it quite frequently. Pale straw throughout, moderate plus nose of wet stone, citrus and orchard fruits with a slight nuttiness on the back end. Moderate body, moderate plus acidity, long impactful finish that blossoms and fills. In a great place with lots of upside still. 92pts.

2001 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Les Goulots 1er Cru
Light ruby with bricking on the edge. A moderate plus nose infused by mineral and stone notes, precise cherry and raspberry fruits, spice, rhubarb and meat. Medium bodied, moderate plus acidity, low tannin, this was quite elegant on the palate. The flavors in the mouth mirrored the nose and all in all this was showing quite well. 90pts.

2001 Domaine des Chezeaux Chambertin Grand Cru
Ruby color, rustic moderate nose of cranberry, raspberry, plum with some floral spice notes. Moderate plus body, acidity and tannin the wine shows rustic on the palate as well. Chunky and clunky in comparison to the Fourrier, this was easily outperformed by the lesser vineyard. 87pts.

Burg lunch at SolBar
1992 Domaine Carillon Puligny-Montrachet Les Perrieres 1er Cru
We weren’t holding out much hope for this bottle as it had some ullage, an elevated cork and a pretty destroyed label. The plan was to focus on the DRC and this was a crap shoot that we gave about a 30% chance of being drinkable. Boy were we surprised when the wine that emerged from the beat up exterior was not only drinkable but quite remarkable. Gold color, large framed nose of honeysuckle and honey, quite ripe fruit spectrum of peach and baked apple/pear and citrus. Moderate plus body, round and plump but maintaining a moderate plus acid level that kept the tension in the wine nicely. I wish we had more of this as I could drink this all the time. 94pts.

1985 Domaine de la Romanee Conti Romanee St. Vivant Grand Cru
Faded ruby core with garnet encroaching quite far in from the edge. A moderate plus nose that smells of aged Burgundy. Pretty black cherry, dark raspberry fruit aromas, loads of spice, dried plum, old leather, dried leaf and damp earth. Moderate body, medium plus acidity and moderate tannin still in place. This is firmly in the drink now camp and feels as if it is starting to dry out a bit. Still, a beautiful example of aged Pinot. 93pts
photo.JPG

Wow!!!

Where were you when I was single? newhere

Great notes as usual Sarah. Glad to see the 92’s still holding up well. Happy Thanksgiving [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the notes. I got a bunch of those '92 Carillon’s from Burgundy Wine Company a few years ago, perfectly stored and at great prices. They were all as you describe. Out of this world.
A

You drink well.
Nice job.

Wish I live in New York USA. My oldest one is from 1999.