TN: Bourgogne Blanc, Recioto, Zin

One from the weekend past:

2006 Rosenblum Cellars Petite Sirah Heritage Clones - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Contra Costa County (6/20/2009)
Rich and aromatic notes of sweet dark chocolate, roasted coffee and blackberries. On the palate it is soft and medium to full bodied with a nice toasty oak note that does not overwhelm the fruit. Low acidity and a decent finish. (87 pts.)

Two from tonight:

2007 Jacques Bavard Bourgogne Blanc - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (6/25/2009)
Light yellow color. Nose of ripe apple, roasted cashews and sweet melon. In the mouth it’s ripe and full with roasted apple and some buttery oak notes. Acidity is adequate. Finish is on the short side. A more than decent value at around $11. (88 pts.)

2002 Azienda Agricola Cavazza Gambellara Classico Capitel Santa Libera Recioto - Italy, Veneto, Gambellara Classico (6/25/2009)
A medium- burnt yellow in the glass. On the nose, aromas of orange marmalade, cinnamon and other sweet spices. On the palate, this is quite rich and oily. Candied citrus peel and burnt caramel dominate the palate. The finish coaxes out some more interesting flavors and put it, for me, in the “Outstanding” category. Quite nice. (91 pts.)

Jorge, fascinating note on the Recioto, thanks for sharing that.

I love red Recioto but have never had a chance to drink a white one. I know they are made all over the Veneto from Garganega or Trebbiano grapes (and probably several blends) and have often wondered about the flavor profile. Sounds like something I would like!

Never heard of the Gambellare Classico region-you’ll be sending me looking for my Wine Atlas! Seems like they ought to be labeled Recioto Bianco, doncha think?

-Michael