TN: Bottom Feeding at TotalWines...(short/boring)

This is so generally true that running into the rare exception is almost shocking [cheers.gif]

Probably damn near everybody on this board knows way more about wine than pretty much every TW employee, wine buyers included.

A bit more. The two NM TotalWines go thru almost exclusively thru a distributor here in NM by the name of Johnson Bros. Starting in StPaul,
I gather they have a bunch of distributorships in a bunch of states. I suspect they take a minimal markup when the sell to TW. By law here in NM,
they must sell to any restaurant/wine retailer at the same price. One retailer I know requested a price list from them an was refused. A clear
violation of the NM law. But, given the quality of the Saranty Wines and what’s on the shelf at TW, I don’t know why they’d want
to deal w/ JohnsonBros. And I have not been able to track down an address or phone # for them in Albq.
I was told by the guy out at TW that JohnsonBros has a small warehouse in Albq. Which would square w/ the story I heard that these large trucks
stop briefly at JohnsonBros and then head off to deliver the goods to the two TWs. Again, probably not legal.
Against my better judgement, I ventured into TW on Sat. Almost all of the WineryDirect imports are thru Saranty. Checking a few of the big-name Bdx reds,
some were coming thru PalmBay Importers in FL. Nothing about Saranty on the label. But also a bunch of them came thru Saranty as well. So a lot of the
big name wineries in Europe must sell to several different importers in this country, including Saranty. Which I why you can see them at other stores
other than TW. But just not coming thru Saranty.
I was tempted to buy one of the widely available wineries at TW thru Saranty and then a btl that came thru conventional channels and compare the two…
but don’t think I’ll bother.
Tom

Just to be clear here I am a former part time employee of TW a very long tine ago (although it was called a different name in MD). Like most large size companies involved in wine they take their share of slings and arrows here and I am not here to defend them. But they do provide a service to the non-geek average wine buyer. It was mentioned earlier that they sell “commodity wines”. Not sure what that means. Isn’t wine a commodity? Sometimes postings here about TW, WS, BevMo, Whole Foods, Starbucks, small wineries sold to larger wineries etc, is like shooting fish in a barrel for some posters. Not a big deal given the knowledge about all things “rarer” by most posters here but just thought I would put my two cents in.

Cheers,
Curt

“I’m not going to defend Total Wines, but here’s my defense of them. Also, a McDonald’s Happy Meal is a way to get nutritious chicken.”

Well, Curt…by “commodity wines”, I mean wines that are widely available and carried by a lot of grocery stores and the like. Rombauer Chard is a “commodity wine”.
Failla Chard, though a “commodity”, is not what I’d call a “commodity wine”.
When TotalWines opened in SantaFe, there seemed to be a big buzz about its opening. I’d only been in a TotalWine once before, down in Albq, and was
rather overwhelmed w/ all the labels I didn’t recognize. So I was rather excited to have it open as well…some new wines for me to try, especially the imports.
But as I’ve worked my way thru some 20-25 wines, most “Winery Direct” imports, mostly from SarantyImports, I’ve been pretty underwhelmed.
So TW is not for me, and for most folks here on WB. But I’ll continue to stop in if I’m out there in the neighborhood, to see what they have.
And will probably continue to bottom-feed…and probably continue to be disappointed.
Tom

Understand what you are saying and probably agree with most of it. When I was employed there they had few WD wines and there was not a lot of pressure to sell them. They did try to keep employees up on the tasting of the WD wines by holding wine dinners (free) and in store tastings with upper managers to get the wine people to taste and recommend them. They took full time people to Europe and California to visit the various WD wineries. Their biggest problem with wine people was the low wages they paid. Stock people were minimum wage and wine associates rarely made above $10.00 per hour when I worked there. This must have changed over the years. When I was there they had a couple of stores in N.J., one in Delaware, two in MD, and around five in VA. They continued to grow while i was there but I left so long ago I am fuzzy on their growth. Just stuff for your info.

Cheers,
Curt